Oversees and manages large-scale, cross-functional program(s) and/or multiple medium to complex projects from initiation through completion under very limited supervision as directed by IT Management and Project Sponsor and/or Senior Executive Team.
- Initiates, plans, executes, monitors, controls and closes large scale, cross functional and/or multiple medium to complex projects and/or programs (defined as a collection of projects and services which together achieve common business goals and strategic initiatives with potentially long implementation time frames). May manage several unrelated projects simultaneously.
- Manages activities within the standard PMI process groups including; initiation, planning, executing, monitoring & controlling and closing. Utilizes PMO project methodology, tools and templates to uphold project-to-project consistency, excellence in standards across projects and principles of practice within the PMO.
- Initiates project by working with sponsor(s) to develop project scope including goals, objectives, milestones, and deliverables. Works with the project sponsor(s), business manager, functional managers in gathering business requirements, current state assessments and/or project requirements to develop preliminary project documents.
- Develops and manages the activities within all PMBOK knowledge areas including; integration, scope, time/ schedule development, cost, quality planning, project team, communications, risk and procurement. This includes defining tasks, and developing; high-level and detailed timelines and project plans and other project artifacts.
- May lead the work of 1-20 project team members (internal and/or external) in a matrixed environment.
- Makes task level assignments for the project/program and sets expectations of cost, quality, task sequencing, due dates, and milestones. Motivates and ensures project team active participation, collaboration and coordination so project deliverables are on time and meet the expectations
- Identifies gaps in capability, quality and availability, performs gap analysis so management stakeholders can obtain and approve additional resources for the project/program.
- The Senior PM may assist management to plan and source the correct project team resources.
- Monitors and controls all aspects of the project by measuring progress and correcting course when project goes beyond scope or is not meeting goals and objectives. Ensures project remains on timeline by managing schedules and resources and removing barriers. Works with project team, sponsors and/or IT Management to negotiate changes such as scope, timeline, deliverables and integration points.
- Provides consultative services to project team for project management, organizational and/or cross-functional discussions. Ensures project is identifying and considering all potential impacts throughout the company and raises these considerations if the project team has not identified them. Provides consultative services to other projects that have integration points and/or impact to project to ensure collaboration and efficiency between projects.
- Manages project risk by identifying, planning for, developing and implementing strategies to mitigate or minimize risks and monitor findings, and monitoring risks throughout the project. Appropriately escalates risks and/or issues to IT Management and steering committee and/or sponsor(s) as needed. Facilitates or assists with conflict resolution within project team.
- Closes project by developing closing documents and transition plans to support ongoing operations and ensures transfer of knowledge within the organization. Gains acceptance of the final product and final sign-off by sponsor(s) and/or steering committee.
- Ensures project remains on budget by managing timelines and resources and preventing overruns or delays.
- Prepares project communications including status reports, dashboards, and other materials to keep management, business units, and other stakeholders informed of project status and related issues. Confers with project personnel to provide guidance and resolve problems. Responds in verbal or written form to routine and non-routine inquiries from internal/external customers. Facilitates internal and/or externals meetings. Develops and presents information in various formats to inform, gain cooperation and/or resolve issues.
- Information exchange includes complex and/or sensitive information.
- Usually required to learn new software being implemented and act as SME during project.
- Performs quantitative and/or qualitative analysis for project including data collection and review, requirements analysis, work flow process analysis, root-cause analysis, etc.
- Maintains positive relationships within SCAN business units and promotes the collaboration and exchange of information between business units. Works with all levels of the organization from line staff to senior executive team.
- Exercises creativity and flexibility by determining the appropriate combination of knowledge, skills, tools and techniques for assigned project.
- Ensures all project documentation is completed and filed/stored in an organized manner, according to IT SDLC and PMO guidelines.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; participating in professional societies and maintaining professional development units for continued certification.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required, or equivalent experience required.
- Graduate level degree preferred in healthcare, project management or business administration preferred.
- Minimum 8 years of work experience in project management. 10 years of experience is preferred.
- 4-6 years of experience working within the healthcare industry.
- Demonstrated experience in leading the work of 1-20 project team members (internal and/or external) in a matrixed environment.
- Demonstrated experience in large scale, cross functional and/or multiple medium to complex projects or programs.
- MS Project experience required.