Nexcess is a Southfield, Michigan-based managed hosting company founded in 2000, with wholly-owned data centers located in Dearborn and Southfield, Michigan. Nexcess offers hosting services ranging from entry-level packages to custom clustered/complex hosting configurations, with an emphasis on mission-critical hosting for high-profile business and eCommerce websites.
We are a growing company that recognizes every team member’s unique skills and abilities. As of 2017, we’ve been included in the INC 5000 List of the fastest-growing private companies in America for eight consecutive years.
With an emphasis on unsurpassed support and customer service, we need skilled, motivated individuals with a commitment to our core values. Four of these values are listed below:
- Beyond Service: The client is #1. Serve the client with urgency; we have nothing without them. Aim to make them smile (and smiling in awe is a bonus).
- Beyond Fear: Try new things. Growth comes from failure; embrace it and learn from it.
- Beyond You: Teamwork and positive communication are essential. Nothing great was ever done by one person.
- Beyond a Job: Learn. Grow. Enjoy.
This position will primarily manage projects for software development teams. On occasion, the Project Manager will also be expected to provide assistance to non-technical projects. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, prioritizing inbound requests to the teams, and the sizing, scoping, and assigning of tasks.
- Maintain and manage priorities set by leadership.
- Create and maintain a coherent and efficient iterative development process.
- In conjunction with SMEs, assist with gathering requirements, scoping, sizing, and assigning tasks to team members.Manage backlog, work in progress, planned, and unplanned work items while evaluating risk.
- Identify and assign items that need documentation.
- Provide training when needed.
- Identify metrics and KPIs, and create monthly reports.
- Remove any roadblocks affecting projects.
- Manage deadlines when necessary and provide timely updates to the team.
- Facilitate effective meetings, take notes.
- Create and manage project plans when necessary and apply task estimation throughout.
- Manage projects involving policies and procedures that affect multiple teams, uphold efficiency, and ensure compliance with the Payment Card Industry (PCI) and other regulatory agencies.
- Track team tasks that are outside of structured projects.
- Function as a backup for other Project Managers in the Project Management Office (PMO).
- Perform any other duties or tasks as may be assigned.
- Agile software development methodology experience: +5 years
- Scrum master, business analysis, software testing experience is a plus
- Knowledge of multiple Agile methodology frameworks such as Scrum, Kanban, XP, and others is a plus
- Training experience is a plus
- Web hosting/data center experience is a plus
- Lean/Six Sigma experience is a plus
- Experience with Waterfall development methodology
- Programming experience is a plus
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree in any technology field, or equivalent experience
- Commitment to lifelong learning and excellence
- Can give and receive constructive criticism
- Proven verbal and written communication skills
- Creativity, adaptability, and relentless attention to detail
- Can provide a mix of innovative and proven solutions to complex problems
- Can work on concurrent tasks and reliably produce quality results with little supervision
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Relentless attention to detail
- On-call availability for emergencies
- Ability to work independently as well as a team
- Great organization skills
Medical / Health / Wellness
Nexcess pays a generous portion of the medical plan premium for both employees and dependents. Insurance selections for employees and eligible dependents are effective after 90 day of qualifying service. Employees may choose from a variety of plans including:
- Medical Insurance (Employee-only coverage is 95% paid by the company)
- Prescription Drug Plan
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Coverage
- Long Term Disability – free coverage for all eligible employees
- Short Term Disability
- Life Insurance – Free coverage for all eligible employees
- Additional Voluntary Life Insurance
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment - Free coverage for those enrolled in the medical plan
Via our partner Blue Cross and Unum, Nexcess offers many Health and Wellness Programs, including:
- Smoking cessation
- Health screenings
- Bike, running and walking clubs
- Wellness and Nutrition counseling
- Weight Watchers and Weight Management programs
- Fitness Classes
Nexcess offers a generous leave program including a combination of the following, depending on employment type:
- Paid Time Off program that provides approximately 2 weeks vacation in the first year and accrual increase after three years
- An average of six paid institutional holidays per year
- Family and Medical Leave
- Parental Leave
- Available leave for military service, funeral, jury duty and required education
- Recognition and Discretionary Leave
Nexcess provides a very aggressive 401(k) or Roth retirement plan to all employees with more than 90 days of service. The company will match ($1/$1) up to 6% of each paycheck up to $18,000/year in plan contributions.
Convenience and Fun
There are many conveniences that go along with working at Nexcess. Depending on location, these include:
- Unlimited Starbucks coffee and Tazo teas
- Coke Freestyle™ Machine
- Weekly catered lunches for all employees
- Periodic breakfasts, sweets, and snacks
- Relationships with local cafes and restaurants for great discounts