TDS Telecommunications LLC. (TDS®), a wholly owned subsidiary of Telephone and Data Systems, Inc., is the seventh largest local exchange telephone company in the U.S and a growing force in the cable industry. TDS provides 1.2 million connections to high-speed Internet, phone, and TV entertainment services in more than 150 rural, suburban, and metropolitan communities. For residential customers, TDS deploys 1Gig Internet access, IPTV service, cable TV options, and traditional wireline services. The company offers businesses advanced solutions, including: VoIP (managedIP Hosted voice), high-speed Internet fiber optics, data networking, and hosted-managed services.
The Project Manager is a technical project management position that performs advanced professional information technology project, process, and change management work supporting the development, installation, and improvement of major technology initiatives.
Technical projects are typically of 3 types: 1) projects leading to the development of new revenue producing products for cable and wireline businesses, 2) projects which seek to reduce operational expenses or control/improve access to key business data and 3) projects which deliver major application or networkinfrastructure upgrades.
Projects include, but are not limited to, software package selection and implementation, custom software development, assisting in contract negotiation for the procurement of software, vendor implementation services, process improvement efforts, or contract consulting services.
As a very experienced technical project manager, this position leads large teams and manages projects having sizeable risk, scope and complexity with autonomy and independence.
- Ensure that project activities and work products are in compliance with company development policies, procedures, and standards. Prepare work plans for product deliverables, manage human and fiscal resources, effectively negotiate timelines, scope, and cost constraints with project sponsors to attain project goals, oversee completion of tasks, provide status and completion reports to , and administer the vendor contracts for the project.
- Establish, grow, and maintain professional business relationships with internal sponsors and project stakeholders, other support teams within the company, and external product and service vendors.
- Prepare cost benefit studies for proposed projects consistent with business goals and financial constraints using the appropriate financial analysis tools. Develop and maintain business cases for projects and complete the business value realization report at project completion. Establish project budgets, cost tracking mechanisms, processes for release of funds, and financialreporting for project sponsors and stakeholders. Take correction action as required to reduce financialrisks and mitigate potential budget-related problems.
- Ensure successful adoption of project deliverables and the necessary business process changes through effective best-practice organizational change management practices.
- Lead project communication (e.g. written, verbal, social media, etc.) to appropriately engage and inform project sponsors and stakeholders on project performance and progress. Maintain project records to ensure compliance company policies and audit requirements.
- Lead risk identification, quantification, and mitigation efforts to ensure completion of the project within the agreed upon schedule, scope, and budget constraints. Take corrective action as needed to mitigate risks and implement contingency plans for triggered riskevents.
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) –OR- 4+ years professional work experience.
- 6+ years’ experience in information technology development with exposure to all phases of at least one life cycle process model.
- Knowledge of various project management tools to develop a comprehensive project work plan such as Work Breakdown Structure (WBS), Organizational Breakdown Structure (OBS), cash flow analysis, Gantt and network diagrams, and resource schedules.
- Knowledge of techniques such as the Critical Path Method (CPM) to assess and report on risks in project schedule; knowledge of corrective action steps to reduce risks and mitigate problems.
- Knowledge of System Development Life-Cycle (SDLC) methodologies such as Waterfall, Rapid Application Development, or AgileSCRUM.
- Knowledge of system testing practices and tools.
- Knowledge of problem solving techniques and tools.
- Knowledge of techniques for vendor product solicitation, evaluation, and selection.
- Ability to travel as needed for company business and professional development.
- Ability to work nights and weekends as needed for system implementations and resolving system problems.
- Knowledge of business analysis practices and business process modeling.
- Knowledge of quality management and quality improvement practices.
- Knowledge of team leadership skills, practices, and behaviors.
- Knowledge of techniques, tools, and applicable laws to conduct effective and legal interviews.
- Knowledge of techniques for writing and presenting business proposals to management.
- Knowledge of techniques to establish business relationships with outside vendors.
- Knowledge of effective writing and public speaking skills. Ability to convey complex information to general audiences.
- Knowledge of company policies along with state and federal employment laws relevant to supervisory duties.
- Knowledge of techniques and models for initiating and promoting change (e.g. organizational, process, policy.)