The Project Manager is responsible for the complete and satisfactory execution of the entire project. He/she will utilize his/her knowledge, education and experience to see the project through from inception to completion effectively managing a team of employees responsible for project planning, scheduling, resource allocation, project accounting and control. He/she is Arellano/OHL and OHL Building’s representative working directly with Senior Project Manager, owner/client, design professionals, subcontractors and vendors to manage contracts, communication flow, documentation, cash flow and ultimately responsible for profit/loss on their projects.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in selection and development of project staff
- Establish and maintain relationships with the Owner, design professionals, building officials, local businesses, and police and fire departments
- Work in conjunction with Senior Project Manager and Preconstruction/Estimating department to assisting in the procurement of subcontractors and suppliers, responsible to follow up with subcontractors to make certain they have returned their executed contract
- Review job estimate with Vice-President, Senior Project Manager, Superintendent and Estimating Department prior to commencement of project; Confirm understanding of the project budget
- Follow APO’s (Actual, Probable, Optimum Targets) prepared for the project to monitor cost and performance projections
- Active participant and lead for Buy-out of project (issue subcontracts and purchase orders).
- Meet with Estimating Department to review bid matrix and participate with them in Buyout meeting
- Assist with selection of respective qualified subcontractors that meet the budget
- Prepare Scope Checklists respective to the project for each subcontractor
- Review, comment and approve subcontractor’s checklist and schedule of values during buyout procedures
- Provide administrative oversight of owner’s contract- understand all parameters, requirements, document deadlines and compliance, be able to interpret and explain plans and contract terms to administrative staff, workers, and clients
- Conduct pre-construction conferences including all special construction activities such as but not limited to: Mock Ups, Crane Usage, Pre-cast installation, MOT and Shutdown work
- Administrate subcontracts and PO’s, reviewing monthly pay applications, and issue respective Purchase Orders assigned to the proper cost codes
- Play an active role in safety program such having read and being familiar with the
Safety Manual, understanding of all the safety forms required for use, and all safety regulations at all times of construction
- Maintain and monitor updates of project and the schedule, preparing weekly updates, reviewing two week look ahead prepared by Superintendent(s), utilizing weekly status report form to report to Senior Project Manager
- Monitor shop drawings submittals/approvals following up with subcontractors to make sure materials/equipment arrive on time and are coordinated with the schedule; Coordinate all shop drawings and deliveries with superintendent
- Monitor and assist quality control through respective QA/QC program
- Prepare and maintain RCO and CO log
- Conduct required Owner, Architect, Contractor (OAC) meetings, following the OAC meeting guidelines detailed in Arellano/OHL Construction Operations manual prepare and maintain related documentation
- Communicate effectively progress/problems to Senior Project Manager, Owner, Architect/ Engineers, Subcontractors and/or any other key stakeholders as applicable
- Review all documentation prior to going out to respective entity inclusive of job site initialed correspondence prior to mailing or delivery ensuring completed in its entirety
- Review/process subcontractor and supplier billings ensuring pay applications are filled out properly including but not limited to confirmation of amounts previously billed correspond with Starbuilder
- Cost code all requisitions, purchase orders, invoices and payroll according to budget in Starbuilder
- Ensure all change orders are documented bot to and from the owner and architect
- Monitor tax saver program for respective project
- Document all ASI’s and field orders from owner and architect
- Monitor punch list procedure and execution
- Coordinate with main office releases of retainage for subcontractors
- Monitor and assist in preparation of close out documents, including but not limited to creation of Closeout matrix according to the specifications at the start of the project, ensuring owner and architect sign off on closeout matrix at the beginning of the project
Follow matrix on project from the start date
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary
Supervisory Responsibilities Responsible for supervision of project staff, varying in size dependent on project, responsible to identify the required staff and skill level for the respective project and assist in development of project staff. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Works well in group problem solving situations;
- Technical Skills - Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
- Customer Service - Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills - Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control.
- Oral Communication - Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions.
- Written Communication - Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and/or Experience – Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Architecture, Engineering or similar discipline, three years prior experience in this or similar role. Minimum 5 years’ experience with K-12 school related projects (specifically OCPS)
- Language skills- Ability to read analyze and interpret general business documents such as periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and/or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of mangers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Mathematical skills- Very High/strong aptitude for a mathematical concepts including arithmetic, algebra, geometry and statistics. Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation, sampling and factor analysis
- Reasoning Ability- High skills, with the ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in standardized situation