Omron Robotics and Safety Technologies is a technology development company in the field of industrial robots. Our company is unique in that it develops new electronics, mechanics and software for an exceptionally broad spectrum of robots -- including SCARA, articulated, parallel link, cobots, and autonomous mobile robots -- for the global market. Omron is the leader in the field of industrial automation with operations in over 40 countries and 150 locations worldwide.
We are seeking to hire a talented Project Manager to join our team located in our Pleasanton, CA facility.
- Lead the development of new industrial robots from conception to product launch.
- As a Project Manager operating within a balanced matrix organization, work closely with Functional Managers to initiate, plan, execute, monitor and control, and close product development projects.
- Ensure product development activities follow Omron process guidelines and best practices.
- Hold regular meetings with stakeholders to review project status and escalate issues as necessary in an expedient manner to ensure project success.
- Foster a culture of empowerment, collaboration, trust, and respect-for-all within the organization.
- Represent Omron in a professional, ethical, and socially responsible manner.
- Lead cross-functional teams composed of members from Marketing (Product Management, Marketing Communications), Engineering (Mechanical, Electrical, Embedded, Software, Systems, Compliance, Applications Development, Tech Pubs), Operations (Supply Chain, Advanced Manufacturing, Production), Quality, and Field Service and Support.
- Work with Product Management and Engineering to facilitate and manage preparation of Marketing Requirements Documents (MRD) for a variety of new industrial robots including fixed robots, collaborative robots or cobots, and autonomous mobile robots.
- Work with Engineering to facilitate and manage the decomposition of the MRD into engineering requirements, generation of design concepts, trade-off analysis and down-selection of concepts, development of proof-of-concept and prototype products, development of technical drawings and specifications, preparation of DFMEA and associated design countermeasures, planning/execution of verification and validation testing, development of technical user manuals, and safety and compliance certification.
- Work with Advanced Manufacturing Engineering, Supply Chain, and Quality to facilitate and manage various make vs buy decisions, estimation and control of product cost-of-goods-sold, selection of key global Suppliers, providing DfM feedback to Engineering, development of PFMEA, production control plan, and other quality assurance measures.
- Support the Omron global factories with the transfer of products manufactured oversees.
- Determine cross-functional project scope, develop WBS, allocate resources in coordination with Functional Managers, develop and manage project schedules throughout complete product lifecyle, and manage project cost using accurate financial forecasts.
- Capture organizational lessons learned and drive continuous process improvements.
Senior -- Able to provide high-level project management of complex projects with minimal supervision
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical, Electrical or Software Engineering from a four-year college or related technical school.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience managing the development of industrial products
- Strong knowledge of electro-mechanical systems and working knowledge of software development.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience using both traditional waterfall/phase-gate methodologies and contemporary Agile methodologies.
- Strong leader with outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills to enable data-driven decisions.
- Proven ability to manage expectations and to resolve problems and conflicts within a balanced matrixed organization (multiple functional groups engaged in multiple concurrent projects)
- Working knowledge of software tools (Office365, MS Teams/SharePoint, Atlassian Confluence and JIRA, MS Project, Smartsheet).
- Occasional international travel to work with worldwide teams.
- Proven ability to serve as a change agent for continuous improvement
- Master of Science in Mechanical, Electrical or Software Engineering
- Eight (8) or more years of experience developing industrial automation and robotic products with a strong working knowledge of software development.
- Breadth and depth of knowledge related to matrix organizations, specifically the processes, roles, and responsibilities of the various functional groups including Marketing (Product Management, Marketing Communications), Engineering (Mechanical, Electrical, Embedded, Software, Systems, Compliance, Applications Development), Operations (Supply Chain, Manufacturing Engineering, Production), Quality, and Field Service and Support.
- Strong working knowledge of advanced product development methodologies (Design for Six Sigma, DfX, INCOSE framework, APQP, Lean, Agile Scrum, etc.).
- Working knowledge of regulatory requirements, risk assessment and risk reduction when it comes to designing industrial products/systems.
- PMP and/or Agile Scrum certification