The Project Manager II is the second line of functional management in Engineering. The responsibility can be summarized as ensuring the technical excellence of the work in Engineering. The scope most importantly includes the improvement and development of a project through planning and directing of the personnel as well as maintaining the quality of the engineering product (drawings and documents) by formal and informal review. Expectation of this function requires clearly communicated and coordinated team management efforts involving all the activities within ADTECH and its interaction with Manufacturing, QA, Purchasing, and the Government Operations Department.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for managing project personnel and the engineering skills necessary to accomplish the project at hand. He/she will accomplish this by keeping track of the skill requirements or the opportunity being pursued in coordination with the Program Manager.
- Given responsibility and authority over the project budget. Further responsibilities will include both the planning and control of the budget within the Program Execution Plan
- Responsible for providing input to the Program Manager for annual performance review and rankings for the personnel on their project. This will include obtaining input from personnel they may have also supported.
- The Project Manager II is responsible for checking the technical work of personnel in his group and recommending needed changes to the Program Manager.
- Responsible for ensuring conduct of appropriate design reviews.
- The Project Manager II may also review proposals at a Senior Manager’s request, or when obviously in their area of expertise for technical content as well as reasonable plan and cost for execution. They will also recommend engineering and design tools that can be planned into proposals to execute jobs more efficiently.
- The Project Manager II is expected to provide support and mentoring to the project personnel, helping them plan work, solve difficult problems, and directing them to resources. The Project Manager II will act as a conduit of communications into and out of the group.
- Responsible for supervision of project personnel which could include engineers, designers, draftsmen, technicians and/or administrative support.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- This position has supervisory responsibilities.
- Reports to the Program Manager
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering.
- Staff or Senior Engineer with a minimum of five years of experience working in a specific technical area in a management position.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage design/build of complex mechanical systems involving structural and mechanical components, electronics, and hydraulics.
- Proven ability to meet schedule and budget goals for a hardware design/build program.
- Understanding and experience with various types of contracts and associated terms and conditions
- Demonstrated understanding of the design and production problems of the technical area.
- Capability to interface with a variety of customers for project execution, obtaining follow-on work, and developing new business.
- Possesses and applies an advanced knowledge of engineering principles and practices in all related fields of the company.
- Demonstrates well-developed leadership qualities.
- Must be able to obtain security clearance.
This position is considered OFFICE WORK which is characterized as follows.
- Almost exclusively indoors during the day and occasionally at night
- Occasional exposure to airborne dust in the work place
- Work surface is stable (flat)
- Requires working indoors in environmentally controlled conditions
- Job tasks are performed in close proximity to other people