Kitchell, a well-established construction firm, most recently voted “Top10 best workplaces” and ranked amongst the “Top 50 firms” in ENR, is seeking a Project Manager to be responsible for the proper management and control of the scope of services as defined in the project contract documents in order to meet the goals and objectives of the project. Often assigned to multiple projects, larger contract amounts or complexity. Ensures company standards and values are maintained on the project.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Directs, leads and is accountable for all phases of the project.
- Ensures project operations are executed in accordance with company project management procedures and policies.
- Participates in preparation and negotiation of owner contracts and ensures delivery and adherence to contractual requirements and that all aspects of owner contracts are accomplished.
- Assists owner in the procurement of design professional and consultant services and administers contracts.
- Prepares project budget, maintains cost control information, identifies cost impacts and provides recommendations for cost control.
- Prepares master project schedule, ensures preparation of constructionschedule, assesses any delays and enforces schedule conformance.
- Manages and coordinates the design review process and participates in value engineering sessions.
- Ensures contractor bid interest, organizes and directs pre-bid conference, analyzes bid results and recommends bidder for contract award.
- Organizes and directs pre-construction conference.
- Oversees and evaluates preconstruction and construction progress and team performance to ensure conformance with schedule, budget and contractual requirements.
- Implements and maintains effective systems of communication within and outside the project to ensure constructive relationships and the adequate flow of information.
- Ensures preparation and distribution of construction observation reports, progress status reports, schedules, pay applications and cost control reports.
- Ensures implementation and maintenance of effective document control mechanisms for the project including as builts, submittals and requests for information.
- Estimates, negotiates, recommends and distributes change orders to owner, design team and contractor.
- Manages pay application process to ensure accurate submissions and timely transmittal of approved pay applications to owner for processing.
- Manages project job costs in accordance with Kitchell budget, updates forecastingschedule and processes billings to ensure profit objectives are achieved.
- Oversees orderly project closeout efforts, organization of project documentation and coordination of warranty work.
- Identifies and manages risk on the project, and advises and confers with regional executive prior to implementing risk mitigation actions.
- Supports and participates in business development and marketing efforts including the preparation of proposals and presentations for new work and active participation in the business community.
- Actively participates on internal teams that focus on continuous improvement of the company.
- Ensures workplace health and safety policies and procedures are clearly communicated and understood by direct reports and enforces rules fairly and uniformly.
- Proactively manages the training and professional development of direct reports.
- Facilitates and ensures the continuous and effective execution of the performance management process for direct reports.
- Manages the staffing and compensation of direct reports in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Executes additional duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience Required
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university in architecture, engineering, construction management or related field.
- Minimum 10 years progressive and position related work experience in construction management, and at least 5 years related work experience managing two or more employees required.
- OSHPD knowledge is required.
- LEED Professional Accreditation and/or Certified Construction Manager (CCM) preferred.
Knowledge and Skills Required
- Knowledge of architecture, engineering and construction management industry including current conditions and industry network.
- Effective computer skills including proficient use of Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint software required, and project management (P6) and schedulingdatabase (Prolog) software preferred.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, including the advanced ability to foster and maintain effective interpersonal relationships.
- Ability to provide leadership and financial management support to a project team.
- Ability to demonstrate the competencies of achieving results, communication and building teamwork.
- Commitment to the values of Kitchell with attention to honesty and integrity, quality of work, customer satisfaction, people development, profitability and managing change.