Sargent & Lundy is one of the most experienced full-service architect-engineering firms in the world. Founded in 1891, the firm is a global leader in power and energy with expertise in grid modernization, renewable energy, energy storage, nuclear power, and fossil fuels. Sargent & Lundy delivers comprehensive project services—from consulting, design and implementation to construction management, commissioning and operations/maintenance—with an emphasis on quality and safety. The firm serves public and private sector clients in the power and energy, gas distribution, industrial, and government sectors.
Our Core Values
Every decision we make is guided by our core values. By upholding these six principles, we support our clients, employees, and community. They are the compass we follow as we continue to grow our business and lead the industry.
Quality – We provide high-quality deliverables and services through an uncompromising focus on peer review, safety, and continuous improvement.
Accountability – Our actions demonstrate the highest levels of professionalism, integrity, and respect.
Our People – We value diverse perspectives, encourage professional growth, and are committed to providing a work community where people thrive. Our work is challenging but rewarding.
Our Clients – We deliver value and exceed our clients’ expectations through outstanding customer service, personal accessibility, and clear communication.
Innovation – Since 1891, we have invested in the people, training, tools, and technology needed to quickly adapt in a constantly changing world.
Meaningful Impact – We make a positive impact in the communities where we work and live.
This position will offer the opportunity to manage project teams consisting of engineers, designers, estimators, controls, and scheduling professionals involved in the design, modification, and analysis of new and existing IT/OT support systems.
- Work on challenging assignments from individual projects, large projects, and major programs.
- Direct the Telecommunications and Automation Engineering team leads in the coordination of detailed design phases for all aspects of Grid Modernization engineering work.
- Lead efforts to ensure projects are completed satisfactorily, with high quality, on time performance and to strict financial requirements and design criteria.
- Coordinate systems design activities to ensure installation and operations will comply with specifications, codes, and client requirements.
- Prepare reports and studies that present technical information in a clear and concise manner, and meet requirements and formats.
- Perform and provide independent reviews of work performed by others, including scopes of work, proposals, procurement specifications, and contract documents.
- Systems include IT/OT systems spanning the electric utility’s service territories. Examples would be utility backbone telecommunications systems, FAN radio networks, and distribution and substation automation.
- Equipment in the designs that support these systems include: Microwave and Point-to-Multipoint Radios, Fiber Optic Multiplexers, SONET and MPLS electronics, Channel Banks, LAN and WAN Switches and Routers, Communication Processors, RTUs, HMIs, AC and DC Auxiliary Power systems, and Asset Health Monitoring devices.
Additional tasks include:
- This position offers the opportunity to develop the design for telecommunication and automation systems of medium, high, and extra-voltage substation electrical equipment.
- Take an active role in project conceptualization, work planning, and project execution.
- Work on challenging assignments that include investigating and solving a wide variety of telecommunications engineering issues.
- Develop your career via peer-learning through sharing of knowledge with other experienced engineers by way of S&L's systems of process and associated "Communities of Practice."
- In addition, there may be the opportunity to travel to client sites as needed.
Dependent upon your location, this opportunity offers a generous relocation package.
We do not sponsor employees for work authorization in the U.S. for this position.
Essential skills and experience:
- This position requires a BS preferably from an ABET-accredited program.
- An advanced management/business degree or certification is preferred.
- Specific experience in Project Management of Utility IT/OT Projects.
- Knowledge of engineering standards including NEC, NESC, NEMA, IEC, IEEE and ANSI.
- 15 or more years of experience in the telecommunications and automation areas, preferably related to telecommunications associated with protective relaying systems in high voltage electrical utility substations.
- Experience should include work with fiber optic systems, substation network / LANs, SCADA, microwave radio, T1 / DS0 communications and associated telecommunications equipment.
- Ability to prioritize work and manage multiple projects under budget and time constraints.
- Experience in execution of projects in multiple contract arrangements including EPC, Owners Engineer, Traditional or Joint Ventures a plus.
- Experience with serving as firm/client liaison in a support, engineer or management role.
- Excellent written and verbal communications a must.
- Experience in writing proposals.
- Experience in cost allocation and control, estimating, proposal preparation, risk assessment programs and techniques.
Valued but not required skills and experience:
- PE license.
- PMP Certification.
- Construction and start-up experience a plus.
- Commissioning experience a plus.