WSP is currently seeking a Fire Protection Engineering Consultant to join our Buildings group, located at our Ottawa office. This is a unique opportunity to work as part of a growing committed and highly professional team of specialized fire protection professionals, building strong relationships with our clients and expanding a successful business practice. Reporting to the department director, this individual will be responsible for (but not limited to):
- Hydraulic calculations, system design and evaluation of existing fire protection systems and equipment;
- Review of buildings, preparation of reports, client consultation and project management;
- Design of fire alarm and voice communication systems, security and access control systems and sprinkler systems;
- Building and fire code consulting, evaluation of existing fire protection systems, life safety surveys / studies, application and evaluation of fire protection systems; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Fire Protection Diploma from a recognized college or equivalent experience;
- 5 years of experience with a sprinkler contractor performing sprinkler system designs;
- Able to conduct field inspections independently;
- Fluent with HydraCalc and HydraCAD software;
- Good working knowledge of AutoCAD;
- Must have strong knowledge of building/fire/life safety codes;
- Broad knowledge of building construction methods and techniques;
- Experience dealing with contractors, architects and engineers;
- Technically oriented; good analytical and organizational skills;
- Bilingualism (French/English) is considered an asset; and
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).