Provide overall coordination of designated project(s) to ensure that project(s) are delivered within budget and schedule while building and maintaining a lasting relationship with clients, design team professionals, and subcontractors. Positions available within Commercial, Healthcare, and Multifamily divisions.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
- Has solid construction base; can offer creative solutions for field problems, utilizing all contract documents.
- Manages and leads the project team in overall construction process with the superintendent.
- Establishes construction controls for project team.
- Develops creative solutions for construction methods and sequences to resolve field problems.
- Has overall oversight to keep team focused and can implement course correction and direction as necessary.
- Establishes the QA/QC program for the project and any necessary controls with the superintendent; can solve complex QA/QC issues and develop solutions needed; works with the superintendent to ensure overall compliance and resolve field issues.
- Ensures testing and inspection correction measures are performed.
- Ensures punch list is complete.
- Works with superintendent and safety manager to establish, monitor, and manage necessary project safety controls.
- Working knowledge of building life safety codes.
- Overall safety culture leader (along with the superintendent), and takes any and all measures necessary to ensure project meets safety program established as well as spirit of Building Group culture.
- Ensures basic Doster safety requirements are included during procurement.
- Ensures safety program is sound and takes measures to ensure compliance and corrective means required.
- Verifies subcontractor compliance with HSE requirements for Experience Modification Rate (EMR) and Recordable Incident Rate (RIR) including implementation of Safety Mitigation Plan as required.
Leadership Mgmt. & Organization Skills
- Ability to recognize project team staffing needs.
- Defines team members’ roles and responsibilities, can lead team effectively, and promotes teamwork.
- Ability to conduct productive meetings; can lead OAC, staff, and subcontractor meetings.
- Is the team communication leader and is capable of effective and professional communication with staff, subcontractors, and O/A (verbal and written).
- Oversees and ensures all technical logs and controls are in place and managed, takes necessary measures to correct as needed, and ensures that all systems are in place.
- Able to develop project processes for the project team and to monitor adherence.
- Prepares monthly reports in a timely and professional manner; ensures monthly reports are performed.
- Effectively delegates certain aspects and responsibilities to the project team members and conducts regular follow-ups on delegates’ tasks.
- Can correct and adjust job processes as necessary.
- Oversees all project processes to ensure proper project execution; evaluates project team performance and adjusts as needed.
- Can schedule his/her own project with sufficient detail, logic, and sequencing; manages and monitors conformance to schedule and can update or adjust as needed; coordinates schedule with subcontractors and team members.
- Oversees show drawings, submittals, and material deliveries to meet schedule.
- Establishes procurement schedule to meet construction project schedule and buys and manages accordingly.
- Expedites the work of all subcontractors as needed; works with superintendents to ensure conformance to schedule.
- Understands the impact of changes on the schedule and obtains necessary time, adjusting overall schedule as needed; understands methods to overcome scheduling obstacles and delays; can re-sequence schedules to meet overall master schedule and end dates.
- Identifies creative approaches to reduce overall project schedule; understands key drivers and critical impacts.
- Proactively forecasts and evaluates project schedule and makes resources adjustments as needed using past experience as cross check.
- Establishes occupancy and turnover process for the project; manages in coordination with superintendent.
- Ability to obtain design and consult information to satisfy schedule requirements.
- Coordinates with project team to define project logistics and subcontractor mobilizations; ensures and oversees that logistics plan and schedules are completed.
- Works closely with superintendent to monitor work progress and make corrections as necessary to facilitate changes and field conditions.
- Establishes and conducts transition and preconstruction start-up meetings.
- Ensures all permits are in place in coordination with superintendent.
- Anticipates and recognizes problems and helps plan ahead for such; ability to adapt and adjust project planning as needed including schedule, logistics, and occupancy.
- Serves as the overall team planner for all project specific needs.
Risk Management & Problem Solving
- Can identify and document risk and plan to avoid or mitigate.
- Responsible for project procurement plan and schedule plan; buys and writes subcontract and PO to that plan; adheres to procurement policy.
- Responsible for execution process of procurement including negotiation of contract comments; facilitates terms and condition adjustments with bond/risk department.
- Monitors and reviews project documents and field conditions to determine risk areas; implements plan to mitigate risk using previous experience.
- Ensures that all insurance certificates, bonds, licenses, and other documents are on file in corporate office.
- Provides proper notice and documentation of any and all delays or impacts according to contract requirements and pursues resolution.
- Establishes and manages change order process for project; writes and negotiates resolution of change orders.
- Manages dispute resolution between project members including owner, designers, contractors, subcontractors, and inspectors.
- Responsible for project budget, cost, profit, and cash flow; manages profit to the approved PPA forecast.
- Develops the master cost budget from the estimates and establishes cost and budgets for each item of work.
- Ability to deliver project within budget.
- Performs monthly cost and profit forecasting and any needed budget adjustments to the cost system (includes general condition budgets).
- Reviews and approves subcontractor and vendor invoices.
- Performs the monthly pay application process, submits owner pay application and monitors payment, approves subcontractor payments, and maintains positive cash flow.
- Manages the change order process— prices, submits, and negotiates owner change orders; prices, submits, and approves subcontractor change orders.
- Manages the process for disputed costs, extras, or claims, tracks within the budget, and is able to resolve.
- Manages and approves all cost items including payroll, time sheets, labor, purchase orders, subcontracts, miscellaneous purchases, and expense reports.
- Develops achievable PPA for the project.
- Reviews project documents (RFP, Plans, and Specifications) and assists pre-construction team with estimating strategy and implementation.
- Identifies risk and constructability concerns from review of project bid documents.
- Ability to lead the procurement effort and define buyout packages and strategy; makes proper subcontractor awards in negotiations.
- Integrally involved in design phase as applicable to identify changes from base bid documents and provide overall guidance to maintain project goals and objectives.
- Accurately prices general conditions.
- Represents Company in sales presentations speaking effectively with regard to safety, quality, schedule, cost controls, and basic construction knowledge.
- Assists pre-construction/sales team in reviewing project RFP/scope documents and developing project/proposal specific write-ups (safety procedures and project procedure manuals).
- Looks for sales opportunity on current projects and repeated/continued services to current clients.
- Maintains relationships with prior project contacts to facilitate involvement on future opportunities.
- Working knowledge of systems available for project controls, including cost system, schedule software, project control software, and office software suites.
- Maintains accurate archives of project documents and correspondence.
- Establishes project standards with regard to systems being utilized by team members during the course of the project.
Qualifications & Requirements
Education / Certification
Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Construction Science, Construction Engineering Technology, or Construction Management
Recommended Work Experience
5 to 10+ year relevant experience in construction
Recommended Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Knowledge of computer programs such as Microsoft Office, scheduling software, internet, and project management software; Knowledge of industry trends, innovations, market, and geography; Knowledge of corporate and industry practices, processes, and standards; Highly skilled in communication, public relations, organization, teamwork, accuracy, attention to detail, time management, conflict resolution, cost management, training, forecasting, and management of others.