Scope of position:
As a Project Manager, you will lead critical strategic projects to support the Corning Life Sciences Division Manufacturing and New Products Strategy. These can include projects to optimize CLS manufacturing in key global regions, establishing cost leadership, understanding CLS competitive position, and developing and launching new biotech products or processes. In this role, you may also be called upon to lead multi-functional teams and apply project management skills to diverse applications. The objective to help drive consistency in practices and process improvements across the Division’s manufacturing plants using PM tools/PEx tools, in areas such as cost management, quality, safety, or service.
Additionally, in this position, you will need to utilize Innovation / Stage-Gate process or the CLS RAPID Process for new products. Projects will typically have a significant financial and strategic impact on the division and require leadership that is consistent with Corning’s values.
- Assist in implementation of the division manufacturing strategies and initiatives.
- Effectively lead multiple and broad ranges of projects that support the Division Manufacturing and New Products Strategies, which meet Division objectives and Vital Few Actions.
- Thoroughly understand the nature of the business requirement for each project and recommend important strategic decisions to define the overall project work.
- Organize the projects by defining scope and objectives, securing needed resources, and establishing the project governance structure.
- Develop and lead project budgets and schedules.
- Lead the development, submittal, and approval of project planning and funding through the development of the project Appropriation Request (AR).
- For individual projects, establish roles, responsibilities, and competencies required for the project. You will build an effective project team and establish receivership requirements for the project.
- Contributing to the advancement of Project Management Competency within CLS through benchmark sharing, training and supporting the development of other Project Managers in CLS.
- Lead all aspects of project management from Initiation, Planning, Implementation & Control and Closure including key areas of:
- Regular project meetings.
- Develop project plans through the facilitation of teams, SME’s and partners o Form, lead and coach project teams and members
- Executing required tasks hands-on, when required.
- Provide project updates to key partners.
- Forecasting Capital and Expense Spending.
- Handling resources and priorities.
- Ensure that the highest level of project safety standards is practiced and met. This includes all internal (Corning) and external (Contractors and Engineering consultants).
- Practice adaptive management style to effectively lead projects in a global operating arena, effectively working with different cultures on international assignments.
- Overall success in advancing projects that support the division strategy.
- For specific projects, the following measures of project success:
- Financial objectives as defined by AR / Project Charter / Stage Contract
- Schedule objectives and provide 360 feedback.
- Quality and Performance measures as defined in project charters and cost reduction targets that include: yield and service improvements, safety objectives, establish process capability for new processes, hit unit cost targets and meeting specifications for new products.
- Up to 50% to division sites or mainly domestically. It could be international travel at times.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
- Standard business hours; Monday – Friday
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Prefer degree in technical discipline.
Required years and area of experience:
- Minimum 8+ years of Scientific or Engineering Project Management experience.
- Formal Project Management Training required.
- We are looking for a professional that has experience with new product project management using Innovation / Stage-Gate processes.
- Ability to effectively handle a high degree of change and ambiguity and utilize influence versus control.
- Ability to complete basic financial analysis of projects, including estimates of the project cost, return on investment, and payback.
- Ability to understand and anticipate costs, and work across functions to generate accurate estimates. Ability to think through the financial ramifications of decisions.
- Can utilize sound and rational problem solving and decision-making processes.
- Proficient in quality tools like KT, Performance Excellence, and Project Management tools.
- Preferred 10+ years of experience in Project Management across large operational projects and new products / Stage-Gate projects.
- Advanced degree desired.
- GMP knowledge and experience in the Life Science business.
- Project Management Certification.
- Microsoft Project experience.
- Experience with Global Manufacturing through experience and project work.
- Experience working with injection molding and associated tooling, equipment, and materials.