The Wayfair DEF (Design, Execution and Facilities) team is responsible for all aspects of design, construction, implementation and maintenance of Wayfair warehouses, storage systems, MHE and automated systems. As a member of the DEF team the Project Manager - Construction will work closely with members of industrial engineering, facilities maintenance, MHE project management and various other workstreams at Wayfair to deliver capital projects focused on the key pillars of People, Safety, Storage, Cost, Throughput, and Flow The project managers primary function is end to end project management, including identifying and implementing new and existing facility capital projects, support tracking of key performance indicators deliver projects on time, within scope and on budget. The project manager will own scope, schedule and cost of various projects, and may be active in design reviews, ROI analysis, cost alternative evaluation, among others responsibilities.
- On design-build projects, assist the design team during the design phase.
- Identify inefficiencies and recommend changes to keep the project on budget while still meeting the required specifications.
- Provides project management support for new construction and existing facilities by interfacing between key team members—external and internal.
- Track and communicate weekly project schedule updates to all teams and key stakeholders. Review and address plan details, resolve issues before they result in either financial or schedule impacts to the project.
- Conduct punch list walk-throughs and project acceptance as required. Maintain continual open communication with Wayfair teams and all vendor and subcontracting partners.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of Wayfair building and fit-up specifications for consistent execution of new projects.
- Create and manage project schedules, and communicate schedule status, critical path, and key milestones.
- Create and manage project budgets, and provide budget status as required.
- Manage other projects outside of construction as needed, including racking installations, and other ad hoc requirements.
- Practices safe work procedures, and follows all safety rules at all times including managing safety expectations of all contractors.
- Administrative work in support of project management.
- Travel required – 40 to 60%.
- Education Bachelors degree with an emphasis in Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or General Engineering, or Bachelors Degree and 10 Years of hands-on field work or equivalent military experience.
- Experience 7 years of experience and/or equivalent combination of education and experience. 3 years of hands on project management experience or engineering field work in an automated environment.
- Detail oriented, with strong analytical and organizational skills, who is also highly results oriented and proactive.
- Ability to effectively communicate with business partners both local and remote having excellent communication skills the ability to handle multiple competing priorities and a strong customer focus.
- Excellent time management and multitasking skills
- Ability to identify critical paths and execute (these may change weekly)
- Communication and involvement with senior management both internally and externally.
- Ability to work independently, pivot and prioritize in a fast paced environment.