Overview & Responsibilities
Serves as project manager responsible for the research, development, planning and implementation of business process improvements, technology and system solutions pertaining to a joint venture between two Berkshire Hathaway insurance operations. Identifies needs and weaknesses in the organization where an update or change to business processes, systems or technology is vital to achieving business objectives and/or required for new business initiatives. Communicates with project stakeholders on project status including progress, issues, timelines and direction.
- Serves as project manager to implement complex process changes, system implementation projects, or technology upgrade or enhancement projects. Develops and applies consistent best practice project management methodologies to achieve improved project efficiency and outcomes in implementations. Generates project management plans and timelines, coordinates with various internal and external units to achieve work objectives and manages the critical path required to achieve overall success. Defines project resource needs, reviews resource allocation and manages dedicated project resources.
- Serves as project manager responsible for the research, planning, and implementation of business process improvement and complex network and system changes, integrations, upgrades or enhancements to the BHHC Finance operations and the Package Policy Joint Venture between BHHC-WC and BHSI. Identifies needs and weaknesses in the organization where changes to business processes or systems are vital to achieving identified business objectives and/or required for new business initiatives. Responsible for and/or participates in the research, design, and evaluation process required to identify where new information technology solutions or software upgrades would provide better information and/or make application of information technology more effective. Responsible for implementing new workflow processes as approved by management for various operational units. Manages and/or supervises business units’ information systems development, programming and testing via oversight of dedicated project developers, business analysts and subject matter experts.
- Communicates with project stakeholders on project status, including progress, issues, timelines and direction. Acts as primary senior liaison between senior management, Berkshire subsidiary companies, operating business units and information/technology units to coordinate and manage the implementation of new or revised business processes and/or new or enhanced information technology including internally developed or third-party vendor purchased software.
- Studies and analyzes individual business units’ processes and use of information technology and evaluates performance for opportunities, individually or in conjunction with operating segment business analysts and subject matter experts to improve the efficiency and efficacy in the application of information technology. Analyzes existing hardware, software, data processing procedures, software usage, programmed applications, database structures and other aspects of data capture and manipulation. Identifies problems and issues in current operations related to programmed applications, software and database usage. Identifies relationships and issues or inefficiencies between different systems or subsystems where data flows from one process into another. Compiles and documents information about overall network and system processing operations for reference, planning and disaster recovery purposes.
- Prepares or coordinates the development of testing plans related to network, software and business process implementations. Communicates with senior management and unit managers to allocate appropriate testing resources for business process and information technology system testing needs. Reviews and/or drafts test plans and cases and manages testing and review test outcomes to ensure performance of technology meets expectations. Works with others to coordinate the training of employees on new or revised business processes and technologies.
- Serves as project manager responsible for identifying, evaluating and implementing new vendor based technology solutions into operating business units such as imaging technology, billing technology, various systems required for state and federal regulatory requirements, telephone technology, etc. Identifies acceptable vendor candidates and solutions, researches and compares products, recommends leading product to management. Works with business analysts and operating business units to draft requirements and specifications for proposed network and information system technology or business process projects. Reviews responses received to the RFP from third party vendors and evaluates the proposed solution against the defined requirements and specifications. Makes recommendations based on costs and benefits to senior management on acquisition of proposed third party products. Defines post implementation performance expectations as part of the benefits analysis for evaluation by management. Serves as primary contact with vendor selected and manages the overall implementation effort.
- Performs related duties as situation dictates such as participating in special projects, etc.
- Bachelordegree or equivalent work experience
- 5-7 years related work experience including programming, database development, and business process analysis and project management
- Insurance coverages and insurance products
- Company, agency and department practices and procedures
- Knowledge of technology testing methods and procedures
- Excellent oral and written communication with all levels of the organization and individuals outside the organization
- Computer application skills
- Legal and mathematical analysis
- Project management skills
- Design and use of computer programs to analyze data
- Advanced problem solving skills
- Principles of business, statistics, finance, insurance, insurance accounting and statistics
- Principles of process analysis and project management; project management accreditation