The enterprise Project Management Office (PMO) Director, reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, is responsible for setting the direction for and execution of project management practices for the organization in compliance with regulatory standards. In addition, the PMO Director will be responsible for driving enterprise wide initiatives and will represent the Chief Administrative Officer as needed. The position is responsible for calibrating project management execution to mitigate risk and for ensuring consistency in project execution. Will have supervisory responsibilities for a team of project managers and project/business analysts and will track and report on the health of projects enterprise-wide and is responsible for continuous improvement in project management practices.
- Leads department initiatives to define project management strategies and practices that support service and business agility while maintaining compliance with system standards.
- Responsible for coordinating the efforts of enterprise wide initiatives for all functional areas, including meeting with leadership, reporting on status to the President and Co-CEO and executive leadership, working to eliminate any barriers and ensuring that there is an environment of continuous improvement in the holding company.
- Sets and clearly communicates priorities and performance expectations, provides feedback and coaching, and conducts performance appraisals. Provides leadership and mentoring to staff, while remaining well-informed of projects and staying abreast of industry best practices.
- Collaborates with IT and business functional managers to ensure projects are appropriately staffed in a matrix organization. Accountable for quality and timeliness of project management deliverables. Advises subordinates on policies and procedures, priorities, methods and standards.
- Develops program and/or project plans that clearly define the scope definition, work breakdown structure and scope change control processes. Establishes clear and achievable objectives, balances competing demands across all divisions for quality, scope, time and cost, and adapts specifications, plans and approaches to the different concerns and expectations of the various stakeholders.
- Conducts program and/or project risk management processes, establishes a risk management plan, implements risk mitigation processes to avoid issues and perform ongoing risk management planning, identification, risk analysis, risk response planning and risk monitoring and control procedures.
- Plans, estimates, budgets and controls costs to ensure assigned programs and projects are completed within the approved budget with minimal variance, using tools and reports to monitor and manage the program/project financial health.
- Applies knowledge, skills, tools and techniques to program and project activities to meet business objectives through the application and integration of project management processes of initiating, planning, executing, monitoring and controlling, and closing.
- Works with technical resources and collaborates with stakeholders to ensure the program and project deliverable meets the security and quality objectives for which it was undertaken through effective demonstration of key project management knowledge areas through all phases of the project.
- Organizes and manages project teams by utilizing planning and activities requirements to estimate and acquire project resources, assign tasks and manage and hold accountable each resource on the team to the level of participation required.
- Oversees the use and maintenance of Clarizen, project management software, across the organization.
- Other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Business or related field required.
- 15+ years of progressive leadership experience in project, program, and/or portfolio management, project management, project plan development, and/or business requirements elicitation.
- At least 3 years of experience with establishing standards, processes, or procedures
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification is strongly preferred.
- Prior experience in creating an enterprise PMO and building lifecycle methodologies and associated deliverables/artifacts are a plus.
- Must have strong focus on internal and external customer requirements.
- Excellent collaboration, communication, and negotiation skills to effectively serve as a senior thought leader in the enterprise.
- Demonstrate advanced understanding of complex business processes across the enterprise.
- Provide direction and leadership in key interactions with business customers to define, analyze, and deliver customer requirements.
- Experience developing and maintaining project or staffingbudgets and expenses.
- Must have excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills, with ability to effectively communicate with both technical and non-technical audiences at various levels within the organization. Must be comfortable making formal presentations to senior management
- Experience with applying and enforcing relevant standards and policies.
- Proficient knowledge and compliance with management practices, company policies, business ethics and procedures. Models, coaches and mentors other leaders in management practices.
- Ability to coach and mentor others to provide leadership to analyze and resolve multiple complex problems at the enterprise level.
- Ability to direct other leaders who manage multiple and strategic projects using the organization’s project management methodology
- Ability to direct, coach and mentor leaders to work effectively in a strong customer service/team oriented environment.
- Ability to partner with vendors, external contacts and industry standards organizations to deliver technical and business solutions of value to the organization.
- Must have appropriate skills with the standard workstation software utilized to perform daily duties, e.g., Word, Excel, Visio, etc.
- Previous experience with project management software required; Clarizen a plus.