At Woodard & Curran, there’s nothing we enjoy more than an engineering challenge. We handle a wide range of water and environmental issues—solving complex problems with creativity and tenacity. That’s how we make a difference to our clients, people, and planet. Our company was founded on a simple concept: provide a safe and enjoyable place to work with opportunity, integrity, and commitment, and we will attract talented people. Those people are at the heart of our firm, solving some of the most pressing water and environmental challenges for our clients.
The successful candidate will join a strong team of motivated individuals to execute industrial control system projects for our municipal and industrial water and wastewater clients. The candidate will serve as the lead for medium to large implementation projects that may be standalone or multidisciplinary SCADA projects. It is critical for the candidate to understand and meet project requirements while working within the project’s scope, schedule and budget constraints. Because the candidate will interface with a wide array of internal and external stakeholders, the candidate must have exceptional communication skills. Additionally, the successful candidate will mentor junior staff and contribute to initiatives aligned with improved performance and efficiency.
Typical tasks include:
- Perform site investigations to gather information about the client’s systems, equipment and instruments to develop SCADA system architecture options and define the upgrade migration path for each option with associated cost estimates;
- Support Project Manager in writing proposals and client communications
- Mentors and trains junior staff;
- Foster and maintain relationships with key clients;
- Coordinate and provide technical oversight of subcontractors and vendors
- Develop process logic for programmable logic controllers (PLCs) used to monitor and control water and wastewater treatment systems;
- Design graphical screens that represent process equipment and instrumentation in the human machine interface (HMI) software packages used by our clients;
- Design graphical screens for the operator interface terminals (OITs) utilized in our SCADA systems;
- Use specialized software to create automated reports containing process information that is incorporated into regulatory reports and used by clients to monitor and evaluate operations;
- Oversee and guide contractors in terminating wires, checkout and modify equipment and instrument wiring connected to the SCADA system;
- Collaborate with Project Managers and Senior Engineers to prepare documents and presentations with minimal guidance and oversight;
- Configure and calibrate instruments, including level, pressure, flow, temperature, process analyzers and more, and connections to the SCADA system;
- Configure and commission SCADA computers, industrial networking hardware, including Ethernet switches, wireless access points and licensed frequency radios;
- Participate in the testing and startup of the process equipment, instruments and SCADA system to ensure the SCADA system monitors and controls the equipment as intended;
- Train operations personnel on the use, maintenance and troubleshooting of the SCADA system hardware, software and installation;
- Perform QA/QC for deliverables produced by the design team and the code developed by the controls team.
To be successful as a member of our team, the candidate should exhibit some or all these traits:
- Understands that safety is paramount and adheres to safety protocol;
- Works independently, but also collaborates with disparate teams;
- Embraces continuous improvement (self-improvement and team improvement);
- Applies sound and diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices;
- Has strong communication skills (oral and written);
- Possess strong organizational skills;
- Is analytical and has a strong attention to detail;
- Self-motivated and self-starting;
- Not afraid to ask questions.
As Woodard & Curran continues to grow its national footprint, we increase our opportunities to work with clients across the United States. Because of this, the candidate must be flexible for 50% travel in northern California and nationwide. Travel will predominantly consist of day trips with occasional air travel and overnight stays.
- BS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Systems Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Electrical Engineering or associated field;
- PE License is a bonus;
- 8+ years’ experience in control system integration;
- Extensive experience with Allen-Bradley and/or Modicon PLC hardware and software (other PLC experience is a bonus);
- Extensive experience with Allen-Bradley FactoryTalk, Schneider Wonderware, Ignition, GE Proficy iFix HMI software (other HMI package experience is a bonus);
- Experience configuring and developing graphics for OITs such as Allen-Bradley PanelView and Automation Direct C-More;
- Experience with automated reporting software (such as SyTech’s XLReporter);
- Hands-on experience configuring, interfacing with and troubleshooting instrumentation found in the water and wastewater industry;
- Strong electrical and mechanical aptitude;
- Experience with Microsoft Office suite (Teams, Word, Excel, PowerPoint; Access experience is a bonus);
- Computer networking experience (hardware and configuration) is a bonus;
- Experience in higher programming language (VB, C++, Java) is a bonus;
- Water/wastewater industry experience is a bonus.
Woodard & Curran is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Woodard & Curran is a Drug Free Workplace.
Individuals with Disabilities and Protected Veterans are encouraged to apply.