Primary Purpose Summary
The Project Engineer’s role is an integral part of the project execution process and forms an integral link between all departments, procedures & resources involved in its success.
Reporting to the Director of Product Development, the Project Engineer’s primary responsibility is to lead, drive, and manage all applicable engineering and technical aspects associated with the Product Development Process (PDM), Continuous Improvement initiatives, and necessary production/manufacturing support. The Product Development Process includes (but not limited to) the specification, ordering, development, qualification, installation, validation & production ramp-up of automated production cells (injection molds and automation) that are designed for the high speed, mass-volume production and assembly of high quality dispensing closure systems. This process requires the position to apply all internal standards, procedures and activity necessary for effective project execution.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Drive the specification, quotation, engineering and procurement process for molds and auxiliary/automated equipment through cell approval.
- Manage and coordinate purchase requisitions, project documentation, and sampling
- Lead, coordinate, manage and supervise the delivery and sampling of new cells (molds, EOT, robotics and assembly equipment).
- Drive and support the Product Development process to ensure Stage Gate progression
- Support ISO efforts by complying with ISO documentation procedure.
- Seek and develop new technology advancements that will help gain a competitive edge.
- Engage in the process of product design validation, using prototyping, process development & materials selection.
- Explore, assess, and initiate project engineering processes across multiple technical disciplines. Leverage engineering process knowledge to seek the required expertise internally and externally to drive technical solutions.
- Provide support to Manufacturing (molding rooms) and the Toolroom, for both the operations center and outside molders.
- Lead and participate in Continuous Improvement projects.
- Travel: Domestic up to 25%.
- BSME, BSIE or a bachelor’s degree in Polymers, Plastics, Rigid Packaging or similar area of expertise.
- Master’s Degree in Technical Discipline a plus.
- Qualification in or basic understanding of statistics & experience in its application for data analysis.
- 4-7 years of related experience.
- Experience in Injection Molding Tool Build and Qualification.
- Project management experience.
Non-Mandatory Job Qualifications:
- Plastic part design for Engineering.
- Scientific Injection Molding.
- Experience with Mold Flow Simulation.
- Familiarity with ISO Standards.
- Design of Experiments Knowledge & Experience.
- Knowledge of Instrumental Methods of Analysis.