Bachelor of Science degree in Architectural Engineering, Civil Engineering (emphasis on Structural), or related degree, from a 4-year accredited college or university. Master’s degreepreferred.
Professional registration required
- 5-10 years of demonstrated experience in evaluating, designing, preparing repair bid documents, and performing field observations of repairs to concrete and masonry buildings and structures
- Experience with facility asset management and related software is desired
- Experience in several of the following areas:
- forensic studies associated with building envelope and structural issues
- assessing the feasibility and soundness of proposed restoration / maintenance programs
- evaluation and condition assessment of construction and materials
- report writing and specification writing
- development of project scope and cost estimates
- Consulting firm experience is preferred
- Knowledge of Building Codes and Standards
- Industry experience with oil and gas, power generation and manufacturing a plus
Key Job Elements
In this role you will:
- Develop and prepare proposals for architectural / engineering services related to asset management and the building’s envelope including:
- Defining the scope of field investigations;
- Preparing cost estimates and project schedules; and
- Preparing, delivering and discussing proposal documents with clients.
- Prepare and review reports, contract documents, designs and specifications for repairs.
- Plan, organize, and write assessment reports describing the evaluation, significance observations, conclusions, and repair recommendations, together with construction cost estimates.
- Plan, organize, supervise and conduct field evaluations and field testing programs.
- Assess feasibility and soundness of proposed restoration/maintenance programs.
- Develop constructible repair details and specify appropriate repair materials.
- Coordinate construction quality control services, conduct periodic site visits, and review daily field reports prepared by others.
- Conduct pre-proposal, pre-construction, and construction progress meetings, and prepare minutes of those meetings.
- Develop and present project-specific or technical presentations to clients, technical organizations, and in-house staff.
- Must have strong written and oral communication skills, be able to work in a team environment as well as independently, demonstrated team-oriented approach to problem-solving, and have strong interpersonal skills for contact with clients and fellow engineers/technicians.
- Accuracy, dependability and strong organizational skills.
- Exceptional time management skills, ability to manage multiple assignments at any given time, and have ability to work in a team environment.
- Must hold a valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance, and be willing to travel to and conduct field work at project sites as well as offices in Michigan and Ohio.
Work Environment / Physical Demands
- May be required to perform job duties in the field and office, during non-standard work hours, as necessary.
- Must be able to lift and carry equipment weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Be willing and able to work on construction sites, including elevated platforms, manlifts, scaffolds and swing stages, and along freeway right-of-way while performing review activities.
- May be required to enter and work within confined spaces, once appropriately trained.
Leadership and Project Management Experience
- At least 3 years of demonstrated leadership experience in mentoring and leading junior staff
- Ability to organize technical material into comprehensive reports as well as perform QA/QC reviews on work product
- Project planning, budgeting, task delegation and management to ensure project is completed according to work plans
- Project Administration, including invoicing and collections
- PMP certification a plus
- Demonstrated ability to seek and establish new clients and build good business relationships with both new and current clients
- Develop and maintain professional business relationships with targeted new clients.
- Conduct periodic site / client visits, project and business development meetings.
- Assist in developing business strategies and action plans for creating growth opportunities.
- Work with Business Development staff to bring new clients / business opportunities to the firm.