Project Engineer – Solid Waste Specialty
Walden Environmental Engineering continuously seeks motivated and experienced professionals with expertise in the Solid Waste Industry. We look for additions to our team that bring technical know-how and a strong work ethic. Our engineers, geologists, and environmental scientists are empowered to better themselves every day at Walden, and are encouraged to set goals and then achieve them.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefit package including medical, 401k retirement savings plan with matching contributions, bonus plan, tuition reimbursement, and excellent professional development opportunities.
Description: Walden Environmental Engineering is seeking a project engineer to join our Oyster Bay, New York office who will think creatively to address a variety of client needs. If you have a deep understanding of the solid waste industry, including permitting, Part 360 compliance, and site design, then please read on and apply.
Degree Required: Must have a BS or MS in Environmental, Civil, or related Engineering discipline
Preferred Years of Experience: 5+
- Oversee work necessary to obtain a client’s full Solid Waste Operational Permit
- Navigate regulatory procedures for noise control, air permitting, storm water permitting and construction near wetlands
- Produce well-structured and thought-out recommendation reports based on field inspections and observations
- Prepare Environmental Assessments on behalf of our clients
- Develop construction design documents and specifications for a full range of environmental and civil engineering projects
- Develop site designs, including site layout, grading and storm drainage, roadway, and utility infrastructure
- Interact with clients and provide them with clear recommendations while advising them of their responsibilities and options
- Respond to and address regulatory comments to obtain agency approvals
- Perform hydrology and hydraulic calculations and be knowledgeable of NYSDEC storm water drainage requirements
- Prepare cost estimates for design projects and specifications for bid documents.
- Develop bid documents and perform bid management/analysis
- Oversee engineering design and construction
- Be willing and able to assist with business development initiatives by leveraging existing client relationships to expand service offerings and identify new relationships
- Develop and enforce health and safety plans
- Must be willing to work outdoors in various weather conditions and travel to project locations
Education and Qualifications
- Strong computer skills in AutoCAD and Excel
- 5 or more years of design experience with a specific focus on transfer station and other solid waste facilities
- Comprehension of relevant regulations, including NYS DEC Part 360 and New York City Solid Waste Rules
- Knowledge of the City and State Environmental Quality Review Act (CEQRA/SEQRA)
- Possess strong written, verbal and telephone communication skills, particularly the ability to produce accurate and concise field notes and well-structured recommendation reports
- OSHA 40-hr. HAZWOPER training certificate
- 10 hour OSHA Construction Safety
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Knowledge of civil engineering principles and practices of related technical areas
- Self-motivated and team-spirited, capable of working independently or collaborating with minimal supervision
- Working knowledge of federal, state, and local petroleum & chemical bulk storage requirements a plus
- Working knowledge of HAZCOM, OSHA regulations
- EIT/FE or PE strongly desired.