WSP is currently seeking a Project Engineer to join our Rail and Transit team in the Transportation Group, located at our Vancouver office. Reporting to the Manager Rail and Transit – Western Canada, this position will be responsible for overseeing multiple aspects of heavy and light rail transit projects.
- Actively oversee preliminary and detailed designs related to heavy and light rail transit including but not limited to track alignments and grading work;
- Develop and prepare technical specifications for heavy and light rail infrastructure projects;
- Oversee and validate regulatory compliance of railway crossings and associated roadway designs;
- Track infrastructure inspection and contract administration, including but not limited to track, culverts, crossings, and bridges;
- Preparation, review and authenticating of drawings;
- Develop, prepare and deliver progress reports, proposals, level of effort requirements, feasibility studies, capital cost estimates and presentations;
- Facilitate client procurement through tender document creation, tender submission review and recommendation;
- Provide construction management support including review of submittals, QA/QC and liaising with the client;
- Establish and maintain good working relationships and communication with clients, department managers, project managers and team members;
- Liaison with all discipline members, sub-consultants, clients, and agencies;
- Stay up to date on changes with industry regulatory requirements.
- Graduation in the field of Engineering from an accredited university; Civil designation preferred
- P.Eng. (Eligible for membership with APEGA);
- 5+ years’ experience related to heavy and/or light rail infrastructure projects;
- Technical understanding, design experience, and up-to-date on rail and transit technologies and practices;
- Knowledge and understanding of all current and relevant standards, including but not limited to, AREMA, Transport Canada, Railway Safety Act;
- Experience with design of railway crossings and intersecting roadways would be considered an asset;
- Track and / or bridge construction or inspection experience would be considered an asset.
- Advanced computer skills in MS Excel and MS Project. Knowledge and familiarity with AutoCAD (Civil 3D);
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal oversight, take full responsibility for project deliverables;
- Ability to work on several projects at a time with multiple design teams;
- Excellent technical, interpersonal and teamwork skills; and
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).