Under limited supervision, develop and implement engineering projects, specifications, plans, and designs for additions, modifications and improvements to manufacturing equipment and plant facilities. Assist with manufacturing equipment improvements, problem solving, equipment improvements (cycle rate and reliability) and data collection and analysis.
As for all employee, this individual is expected to demonstrate our core values: customer commitment, high-performance culture, fleet of foot, innovation, accountability, integrity, respect for others and teamwork.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop systems and processes that reduce costs, enhance employee safety, improve product quality and increase operating efficiencies and equipment reliability. Executes and manages these projects from design conception to installation and commissioning.
- Implements critical projects ensuring adherence to design specifications, safety standards and regulatory compliance – on time and within budget.
- Completes assigned projects that range from basic modifications of existing facilities and equipment to major construction of new structures and installation of equipment.
- Proactively identify needs, conceive improvements, consider potential issues and evaluate costs and potential savings to optimize existing machinery and/or processes.
- Performs root cause analysis using a number of established systems and techniques such as Failure Modes Effects Analysis, Cause and Effect diagrams (fishbone), 5 Whys, etc.
- Conducts studies, collects data, and provides detailed engineering calculations to support proposed design solution.
- Prepares cost estimates, writes detailed equipment specifications, obtains vendor/contractor quotations, writes purchase order requisitions for equipment, parts and material and provides on-site supervision of construction projects to assure that plans and specifications are met.
- Prepares drawings, project schedules, operating and maintenance procedures, including parts lists, to provide plant personnel with operating and maintenance information.
- Maintains working relationship with outside consulting engineers, contractors, suppliers and vendors to provide the Company with quality materials and professional assistance.
- Interacts with Works Managers, Plant Facilities Engineers, Operations personnel, Purchasing Agents and other department personnel internally and Consulting Engineers, Contractors, other entity engineering departments and equipment and material suppliers externally. Must be organized and tactful in all interactions.
- Solicits written bids from outside consultants, contractors and suppliers upon formal approval of projects; selects contractors and suppliers and negotiates variances in material, timetables and manpower to maintain overall schedule.
- Obtains information from Engineering Department library and drawings, duplicate drawings as required and supplies information to plant personnel as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Machine and process design experience a plus.
- Ability to organize and think logically, strong mechanical aptitude, broad mathematical skills, practical knowledge of physics and engineering principles and basic drafting skills.
- PC proficient; able to effectively utilize MS Office products and CAD software, preferably AutoCAD.
- Excellent communications skills with ability to present technical information and solutions effectively.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering required with Mechanical Engineering preferred. Registered professional engineer status preferred.
- Seven to ten years broad based engineering experience in a heavy industrial manufacturing environment is desired, preferably a steel or foundry company.
Physical requirements/Working Conditions:
- The employee will be working in both an office and foundry environment and will be working throughout the plant exposing the employee to Foundry operations. The employee will be exposed to the following working conditions: Extreme Heat and Cold, Noise, Vibration, Oils, and Atmospheric Conditions such as Dust, Fumes, and Metallic Particles.
- The employee will be required to perform the following actions (from time to time): Standing, walking, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, talking, seeing, hearing and sitting.