Master of Science degree in Civil Engineering (emphasis on geotechnical engineering) or related degree from a 4-year accredited college or university.
Successful completion of Fundamentals of Engineering exam or EIT required. Professional licensure or ability to attain professional licensure in the State of Michigan within 12 monthspreferred.
5-8 years of demonstrated experience in Civil Engineering or Geotechnical Engineering analysis and design. Excellent skills in Geotechnical and Geostructural analysis and design.
Key Job Elements
In this role, you will:
- Coordinate field observations and studies, including on-site direction of geotechnical drilling activities, as needed.
- Monitor construction operations, including earthwork, dewatering, and excavation support installations and prepare engineering field reports.
- Observe test boring drilling, test pit excavation, monitoring well installation, and install and read geotechnical instrumentation.
- Conduct laboratory and field testing of soils.
- Perform a variety of engineering analyses and calculations, with and without the use of engineering software.
- Prepare technical proposals, cost estimates, plans, technical specifications, and reports, including day-to-day correspondence.
- Develop and present project-specific or technical presentations to clients, technical organizations, and in-house staff.
- Coordinate constructions quality control services, conduct periodic site visits, and review daily field reports prepared by others.
- Must have strong written and oral communication skills, be able to work in a team environment as well as independently, demonstrated team-oriented approach to problem-solving, and have strong interpersonal skills for contact with clients and fellow engineers/technicians.
- Accuracy, dependability and strong organizational skills
- Exceptional time management skills, ability to manage multiple assignments at any given time, and have ability to work in a team environment
- Must hold a valid driver’s license, and willing to travel to and conduct field work at job sites/offices in Michigan and Ohio.
Work Environment / Physical Demands
- May be required to perform job duties in the field and office, during non-standard work hours, as necessary.
- Must be able to lift and carry equipment weighing up to 50 lbs.
- May be required to enter and work within confined spaces, once appropriately trained.
Leadership and Project Management Experience
- At least 1 year of demonstrated leadership experience in mentoring and leading junior staff
- Ability to organize technical material into comprehensive reports as well as perform QA/QC reviews on work product
- Project planning, budgeting, task delegation and management to ensure project is completed according to work plans
- Project Administration, including invoicing and collections
- PMP certification a plus
- Demonstrated ability to seek and establish new clients and build good business relationships with both new and current clients
- Develop and maintain professional business relationships with targeted clients
- Conduct periodic site / client visits, project and business development meetings
- Assist in developing business strategies and action plans for creating growth opportunities
- Work with Business Development staff to develop new clients and opportunities