Affiliated Engineers, Inc. is a leading US-based multi-disciplinary consulting engineering firm that plans, designs, and delivers high performance engineered systems for technically complex utility infrastructure and building projects. Nationally and internationally, AEI specializes in the energy and utility, healthcare, research, higher education, industrial, mission critical, and high-performance design markets. Building Design+Construction magazine ranks AEI in the top ten of US engineering firms overall, and in the top ten of healthcare, university, science and technology, and Federal government engineers. AEI has received 13 R&D Magazine Lab of the Year awards.
Being a part of a collaborative team, working in innovative environments, encouraging exceptional performance, and exploring outside interests and professional development; AEI recognizes our employees are the most valued part of our firm. They are the core of what has made AEI a great firm to work for and why our culture promotes a remarkable work/life balance. AEI offers:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- 401(k) with immediate vesting
- Life and disability insurance
- Flexible spending plan
- Employee assistance plan
- Educational and professional development opportunities
- Reimbursement for membership in professional associations
- Paid time off and holidays
As a Project Engineer for our Energy and Utilities market group, you will be responsible for leading the overall engineering design process for our Energy & Utilities Projects. The individual will interpret and utilize information gathered from plant operators, campus planners, utility companies, project partners, field surveys and code research to design utility plants, utility distribution systems and master plans for campus utilities, along with the associated energy and economic analyses. Clients typically include corporate and educational campuses and district energy plants.
- Identifies appropriate systems and equipment to meet the project utility requirements. Equipment/systems include boilers (steam/hot water), chillers, cooling towers, cogeneration, combined head and power (CHP), etc.
- Performs engineering/system calculations and sizes/selects system components including, but not limited to energy modeling and economic analysis of systems and equipment options, pipe stress analysis and system hydraulic modeling.
- Develops utility plant layouts, establishes criteria for utility distribution systems and develops options for utility system routing.
- Develops system diagrams.
- Anticipates and identifies design work required to meet project deadlines.
- In conjunction with Project Manager, acts as a primary point of contact with project partners and client on project discussions.
- Collaborates with the Project Manager (as applicable) in the development of design budgets and schedules. Monitors fee, forecasts work effort, designs to budget, and communicates issues to Project Manager.
- Delegates work, identifies specific tasks, and balances work for designers and engineers to meet client demands and project deadlines. Reviews work for completeness and accuracy.
- Uses effective writing skills to prepare meeting notes, create and edit design specifications, respond to Requests for Information (RFIs) and author studies and reports.
- Performs quality review of own work and participates in additional quality efforts as assigned.
- Reviews shop drawing submittals.
- Advancement of discipline practices, processes and tools.
- Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical or architectural engineering (or another engineering discipline) from an accredited program.
- 5+ years of experience in a consulting environment, focusing on design and analysis of utility plants and distribution systems.
- Fundamental knowledge of utility systems including, but not limited to steam, hot water, chilled water, condenser water, cogeneration and combined heat and power (CHP).
- Understanding of applicable design codes, design standards and specification requirements, and ability to interpret them.
- Professional Engineering license (PE) or ability to obtain license strongly preferred.
- Ability to work well in a team environment, including carrying out appropriate follow-through with others, mentoring, delegating work, constructive feedback. Communicates with clients, project partners, and with individuals at all levels in the organization.