GENERAL DESCRIPTION – PURPOSE OF ROLE:
The Project Engineer will develop and execute manufacturing plant capital projects including scope, schedule, budget, procurement, installation and performance. This role will provide technical solutions across the Blue Buffalo Joplin site, working with a cross functional team.
- Lead Engineer on capital projects - overall project management, budget, schedule management, construction management, start-up, conceptual phases, project close-out, scope development, cost estimation, system design, equipment sizing and selection, procurement, installation, check-out.
- Maintain engineering interface with business unit team - maintain close working relationship with R&D, quality, manufacturing, operations leadership, and financial operations.
- Provide innovative technical solutions required to meet business objectives with emphasis on productivity.
- Utilize Continuous Improvement tools, including but not limited to Early Management, Specialized Maintenance, Autonomous Maintenance, Failure Modes and Effects Analysis, Induced Failure Testing, and support CI and Phase Progression efforts
- Provide support to annual capital planning process, which may include development and management of the capital program for an operating department
- Offer production support and troubleshooting assistance to Engineers, Team Leaders, and Maintenance
- Lead system design standards development for divisional unit operations. Includes improvements to existing standards using appropriate technical evaluation and involvement.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated skills in executing several large concurrent assignments with emphasis on project management, productivity, and packing development.
- Demonstrated technical leadership, adaptability, analytical and problem-solving skills, decision making, trouble-shooting, communications, team management, and human relations skills.
- Strong ability to involve operators and mechanics in the project process.
- Experience working with plant technicians, leadership staff, outside vendors and managing contractors and engineering firms.
- Must have a good understanding of packaging and processing systems and a working knowledge of plant manufacturing, engineering, quality, and research functions.
- Thorough understanding of Food Manufacturing Regulatory Requirements (GMP’s, Food Safety, etc.). Experience working with EPA and OHSA regulations.
- Experience with continuous improvement, LEAN, Six Sigma, TPM, or related processes
- 5+ years of project engineering experience in a continuous manufacturing environment
- Adaptability / Flexibility: Functions effectively within ever-changing environments. Easily adjusts to multiple demands, shifting work priorities, ambiguity, adversity, and change. Is resilient and calm under pressure
- Learns and applies new concepts quickly and effectively.
- Works collaboratively across organizational boundaries to achieve company results.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate and influence individuals at different levels of the organization.
- Possess strong problem solving and computer skills.
- High mechanical aptitude.
- Desire for technical excellence.
- History of delivering outstanding results. Focuses on the right priorities, makes timely decisions, and delivers on short and long term commitments. Brings consumer considerations to bear on everything we do.
- Exhibits the highest standards for integrity and judgment.
- Drives Innovation and Growth: Thinks “outside the box”, encourages risk taking, generates creative solutions, and learns from both successes and failures.
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field.