Missions and Responsibilities
The main object and purpose of this position consist in managing the Large industries projects from design to roll-out. The incumbent will also provide the technical support (proposals, projects, products and services development) required by the industrial operations, marketing or sales groups.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Prepares and manages projects: Support the proposal engineer in defining projects, performing risk assessment and estimating their costs. Makes a critical analysis of needs and specifies stakes. Defines the means and methods for completing them. Establishes investment budgets and controls budgets throughout the projects. Manages assigned projects and related services, from design to roll-out and supervises the construction site. Communicates with clients (internal and external). Writes equipment start-up instructions. Prepares project documentation to register pressurized equipment with provincial authorities.
- Is responsible for project design: Is responsible for the design work and technical support required for projects at the Air Liquide Canada facilities. Develops specifications and technical standards for installing and starting-up equipment. Develops installation and start-up procedures. Supervises the preparation of the plans, and then approves them. Determines the material and equipment to be used for the projects, in keeping with recognized technical standards, regulations and with project requirements. Establishes equipment specifications. Makes a technical assessment of suppliers.
- Develops customer services: Takes part in developing new technologies and services. Takes part in strategy development, support, control and coordination for customer installations.
- Is responsible for contractor selection: With the procurement department, prepares specifications and tender requests and communicates with contractors. Studies tenders and selects contractors for manufacturing and construction work.
- Monitors activities: Monitors the various construction stages described in project schedules. Implements and coordinates work. Makes sure that the objectives are attained. Identifies contingencies and proposes adequate solutions. Makes sure that the work is done in keeping with schedules and budgets. Continually analyzes the quality/cost/time results in keeping with the objectives.
- Safety/Quality/Environment: Makes sure that all of the elements of the projects satisfy Air Liquide Canada’s health, environment and safety standards.
Competencies and Profile
- Diploma: Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Chemical
- Knowledge: Oral and written communications skills, thorough knowledge of computers, bilingualism (English, French an asset), good knowledge of ASME, CSA, NFPA and CGA standards and legislation concerning pressure vessels. Good knowledge of the National Building Code
- Experience: Minimum of 5-7 years in project management. Experience in the design of pressure piping systems and industrial construction and would be an asset.
- Member in good standing Canadian engineering association.