The Project Engineer-Heavy/Civil Construction will be responsible for for planning, construction administration and technical duties for a major heavy/civil construction project associated Brightline's passenger rail system development program. Typical construction disciplines include mass and finish grading, surface water management infrastructure, bridges (both marine and terrestrial), dewatering, temporary and permanent earth retention, track construction, wayside signalization, and peripheral road construction. The Project Engineer will be responsible for all contract administration duties including processing contractor submittals, requests for information, and pay applications. The Project Engineer will take a leadership role in proactively resolving technical issues arising during construction, and will coordinate with third party stakeholders such as regulatory agencies and other public and private owners. Reporting to the Project Manager, the Project Engineer will champion achievement of Brightline's goals with respect to safety, quality, schedule and cost.
Essential Job Functions
- Mastery of the project documents including the plans, specifications, contract(s), and regulatory permits
- Coordinate with Brightline's Quality Manager and Project Controls Director to ensure consistent application of program-wide processes and procedures
- Foster a productive partnership with contractors and suppliers
- Process contractor submittals, RFI's, and pay applications
- Analyze schedule submittals including short-interval look aheads and the project CPM schedule. Monitor schedule performance and collaborate with the contractor to maintain schedule adherence.
- Monitor, analyze and forecast cost at completion.
- Technical support of the change management process including evaluation of plan and specification changes, value engineering proposals, requests for additional compensation and requests for time extension
- Coordinate with the Engineer of Record for post-design professional services and evaluation of design changes during construction.
- Understand and enforce Brightline and the contractor's permitting duties. Coordinate with regulatory permitting agencies as necessary.
- Effective and transparent communication with subordinates and superiors, Brightline team members, design professionals, contractors, and regulatory agencies
- Act as a relentless champion for the expeditious resolution of construction challenges as they arise to mitigate cost and/or schedule impacts
- Lead, manage and mentor a team of Field Engineers assigned to the project.
- BS in Civil Engineering, Construction Engineering, or Construction Management
- Minimum of 5 years experience in construction of multidisciplinary heavy/civil construction projects
- Proficiency in two or more heavy/civil construction disciplines including mass grading, earth retention, drainage infrastructure, bridges, track construction or road construction.
- Fluency with Microsoft Office software
- Basic AutoCad skills
- Basic proficiency with Bluebeam software
- Demonstrated proficiency in job cost management and project cost accounting processes
- Demonstrated proficiency in application of CPM scheduling
- Prior experience in implementation of a common project management system such as PMWeb, Procore, etc.
- Design-Build Delivery Experience
- Experience with an ENR Top 400 Construction Firm
Profile for Success
- "Lead by example" spirit supported by a strong work ethic
- Technical and administrative competence
- Fierce determination to succeed
- Team player with a collaborative spirit and big-picture thinking
- Desire to play a key role in Brightline's unique intercity passenger rail business model