The Edmonton Valley Line West LRT project is a 14-km long line extension of the soon to be in service Valley Line in downtown Edmonton, Alberta. The scope of work generally includes complex staging; new facilities such as stations, OMSF, storage facility, and stops; elevated guideway; new structures; systems and communications installation; trackwork; testing and commissioning; and all other civil works associated with the scope. It is the first LRT extension project using low-floor vehicle technology in Western Canada and will be a landmark LRT endeavour after the 5-year construction term. The unique project challenges, such as cold weather climate and integration with an in-service LRT line, offers team members future career opportunities in the robust transit portfolio of the City of Edmonton and other similar programs across Canada.
- Ensure the design is in full compliance with Agreement outlined by Project Co., including matters relating to quality, safety, environment, and life cycle performance
- Develop the Design Management Plan and ensuring compliance to such plan throughout the Project
- Will have authority within the design-build organization to integrate all aspects of design, including those from different disciplines and subcontractors
- Will Manage the design teams and design processes to ensure design deliverables are coordinated and delivered in a timely manner and aligned with the Construction Schedule
- Liaising with the Integration Manager to ensure integration between all aspects of design
- Liaising with the Construction Manager to jointly ensure constructability of the design
- Liaising with the SUI Leader to jointly ensure achievement of the City’s SUI expectations for the Project
- Liaising with the Utilities Manager to jointly ensure utility and pipeline conflicts do not impact construction and the construction Schedule
- As part of the Quality Management System, ensuring the construction is according to the design and that changes are performed in accordance with the Agreement
- Liaising with the Communications Manager to ensure integration between communications activities and the design
- Providing Project closeout documentation related to design as constructed
- Ensuring appropriate resources to support the design program, including clear communication and roles within the design team structure
- Establishing and confirming design concepts meet identified criteria and commissioning requirements
- Continuing development of the design criteria
- Coordinating with other project team leads to ensure that procedures for addressing interface/integration requirements are adequate
- Ensuring that the quality of the engineering designs meet or exceed the specified standards
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, P.Eng required and 20+ years’ Project Management experience in Alternative Project Delivery within North America
- Experience working on a Contractor team on major Alternative Deliver Projects handling technical issues and design consultants required and demonstrated experience being the primary point of contact with a public sector client. Experience with design/build delivery is preferred.
- Experience with Design-Build municipal construction of highways and or transit/rail infrastructure is required.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of construction engineering, construction process, sequencing and value engineering
- Must have prior experience as a Design Manager and able to be the lead point of contact between the Design team and the project team. Ability to perform detailed quality and technical checks of design inputs and documentation is required.
- Must have effective leadership, negotiation and communication skills with demonstrated success in establishing effective relationships and experience managing large 150+ person teams with diverse backgrounds. Strong Safety/Quality orientation and familiar with safety/quality standards for Canadian Design/Builds.
- Strong Municipal construction experience dealing with infrastructure owners in North America is required.
- Prefer candidate with a strong network in Western Canada and have been involved in the P3 process in Western Canada
- Experience working in a large integrated joint venture infrastructure project is required.