The Project Director, Data Governance, is a member of a cross-functional team where teamwork, collaboration, balancing competing priorities, and continuous learning are the norm.
Primary goals of the position are to:
- Drive the spread of data governance concepts to help build a data-driven culture
- Manage multiple simultaneous initiatives related to data governance
- Prepare and present educational materials to orient stakeholders to data governance concepts and data governance projects
- Develop and maintain a certification program for metrics, reports, and other analytics components
- Cultivate effective communication and coordination across URMC constituents for active participation in data governance efforts
Position works under the direction of the Data & Analytics Senior Director. Position works in collaboration with EDW and Analytics Program Manager, project managers, other Project Directors, Project Administration Office, and clinical, financial, operational, and research stakeholders.
Responsibilities include end-to-end project management of small to large projects involving operationally-focused data governance. This may include, but is not limited to, business and clinical terms, metrics, definitions, certification, data quality, master data management, rollout of reporting and analytics tools, and implementation of enterprise information management tools to support data governance initiatives.
Conforms to established guidelines, standards, and conventions for project management and business requirements documentation.
- Using the URMC ISD Project Proposal Methodology, determines scope of the problem/project, through collaboration with the executive project sponsor, key clinical users, and ISD system and application analysts.
- Gathers input from team members on required tasks and translates into a project plan with activities, dependencies, dates and timeframes, resource requirements, milestones and deliverables.
- Monitors progress of project activities and insures all critical implementation criteria are met and provides status reports to hospital, medical center and integrated delivery system steering committees.
- Manages project scope and timeline, using appropriate governance bodies and Data & Analytics leadership direction.
- Identities, tracks, and manages risks and mitigation plans within assigned projects, escalating as appropriate.
- Identities, tracks, and manages issues to resolution within assigned projects, escalating as appropriate.
- Facilitates project meetings using effective meeting techniques for objectives, agendas, participants, and meeting minutes.
- Facilitates effective working sessions with stakeholders to reach objectives of the data governance program.
- Develop/maintain reporting dashboards suitable for Sr. Leadership (both ISD and Business) to communicate project status.
- Conducts post-project "lessons learned" sessions to identify successful project elements and areas for future improvement.
- Coaches project team members and stakeholders on data governance concepts, policies, and procedures.
- Drives policy development to support data governance program implementation.
- Draft data-related policy recommendations for executive review.
- Develop processes and procedures around data standards, data quality, master data, metadata, metrics, and definitions.
- Implement a business glossary that contains data sources, reports and other analytical outputs, terms, metrics, definitions, calculations, and usage information for use across the enterprise.
- Develop a group of data stewards to act as subject matter experts in the area of their operational work and to contribute knowledge to the enterprise business glossary on an ongoing basis.
- Keeps current with business and strategic goals
- Understands other University service providers
- Stays apprised of team's roles, processes, tools, and architecture to better understand how the team works together to meet users' needs.
- Attends webinars, reads case studies and white papers, and participates in other free or low-cost opportunities to further refine skills and stay apprised on analytics and data governance topics. Communicates and educates at the user's level, in the context of the user's business environment. Builds and maintains internal departmental relationships
- Coaches and maintains a positive influence on project team members for accountability and action at all times.
- Meets established deadlines, and motivates project team members to do the same
- Maintains flexibility and professionalism while managing competing priorities
- Coach Data & Analytics team members on data governance principles as well as policies and procedures that need to be embedded in projects and operational activities
- Participates effectively as a "Team Member".
- Makes presentations to ISD staff on work-related issues.
- Serves on committees and attends meetings as requested.
- Meets established deadlines.
- Utilize team standards, guidelines, processes, and templates in daily work.
- Follows all ISD administrative standards (such as timely time sheet preparations, completing time away requests, completing annual mandatory educational requirements, etc.).
- Adheres and subscribes to the ISD Values as stated in the Values Statement
Bachelor's degree in related discipline such as Computer Science, Business, Mathematics, Statistics, Science or Engineering, and 4-5 years of related experience, preferably 2-3 years in a supervisory capacity; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Bachelor's degree in related discipline such as Healthcare Administration, Business, Finance, Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Information Systems, or Engineering
- 3-5 years project management experience
- 3-5 years experience with office productivity tools including Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Visio, Sharepoint
- 3-5 years experience as a business analyst, data analyst, or systems analyst
- 1-3 years facilitation experience (meeting, workshop, and/or training facilitator)
- 1-3 years experience with ad hoc reporting tools, online analytical processing (OLAP) and/or data discovery tools
- Highly organized with proven ability to meet deadlines, prioritize workload, and manage resources and time effectively
- Possesses strong interpersonal skills and effective communication skills, written and oral
- Leads meetings utilizing effective meeting management methodologies
- Master's degree in Healthcare Management/Administration, Business, or Analytics
- Experience working in the healthcare industry is highly desirable
- Experience working in healthcare operations, either clinical or revenue cycle
- Experience working with healthcare provider or payer data
- Experience with enterprise data governance programs and infrastructure
- Knowledge of relational database concepts and SQL
- Knowledge of i2b2 research platform
- Knowledge of Business Intelligence tools (e.g., Spotfire, Tableau, Qlik).