Scope of Job: The Project Development Manager position facilitates and manages the Company's solar PV and battery storage project development efforts, including locating and contracting with landowners for project-appropriate sites throughout North America, performing project diligence, understanding interconnection options and securing interconnection agreements, identifying, applying for, and securing required permits, licenses, and approvals for a project, and coordinating with internal design and construction professionals and external consultants. The Project Development Manager will have strong organizational skills; a deep passion for renewable energy and storage; the ability to communicate effectively with landowners, government officials, and project stakeholders; and experience in, or exposure to, development of renewable energy projects, including real estate contracting, land use and other permitting, coordination of development matters with project design and construction professionals, and identification of development constraints on project implementation.
- Project Development Execution Manage the development of Company projects, including: securing appropriate project sites in targeted areas; retaining and working with consultants and independently to perform project diligence; researching, applying for, and appearing before governmental officials in support of, and meeting with community representatives to secure support for, project permits; researching and understanding interconnection requirements and constraints for a project and facilitating interconnection agreement negotiation and execution; establishing and implementing project development plans and schedules; collaborating with originators, engineers, and project construction personnel across the Company to align development outcomes with project origination, design, and construction constraints; tracking and reporting on project development tasks; and managing junior project development personnel to support project development efforts.
- Development Issue Comprehension Develop in-depth knowledge of, and become expert in, permitting, utility/interconnection, environmental, and site-specific requirements of target regions and markets, including regulatory incentives, key development hurdles, authorities having jurisdiction, real estate constraints and requirements, and related project development matters.
- Track, update, coordinate project development matters directly and with team.
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervision of Others: On any project, the Project Development Manager may manage a Project Development Analyst or Company administrative personnel to support project development efforts.
- Bachelor's degree: business, environmental, or engineering degree
- Advanced degree in business, environmental, engineering, or law preferred
- 5+ years of experience in negotiating real estate agreements, local and federal permitting, management of interconnection study processes, financial modeling, negotiation of PPAs or asset purchase agreements
- Prior renewable energy industry experience, particularly solar or solar + storage
- Proven track record of quickly developing and maintaining positive relationships and effective communications with project stakeholders, including energy customers, government officials, utility representatives, and community members
- Proven ability to understand, negotiate, and execute real estate contracts
- Proven ability to research and read ordinances, statutes, and regulations and understand how these apply to project development
- Proven ability to read and interpret site plans, land surveys, and title reports
- Demonstrated ability to manage others and coordinate inputs from across an organization to develop a project
- Ability to use or to quickly learn to use research, GIS and database tools
- Ability to articulate complex issues through succinct, cohesive summaries and presentations
- Demonstrated ability to understand, organize, and synthesize diverse information relating to a project
- Strong ability to manage multiple, interrelated tasks and adhere to deadlines
- Working knowledge or demonstrated ability to quickly learn the various components of the Company's renewable energy and storage projects.
- High energy, and ability to work well in a team environment with proven attention to detail.
- Ability to travel upon request.
- Willingness to embrace and defend a culture of respect, communication, and accountability to thrive in a highly dynamic environment.