POSITION SUMMARY: The Project Controls Specialist 4 works within the Program Management Office group and reports directly to the Project Controls Manager, assisting with the non-technical management of a project to keep deliverables on schedule and within budget and to assist with the development and maintenance of standard tools and functions manages by the Project Controls group. This position will also provide the opportunity to develop and implement innovation in project controls and maximize the use of the available technology in thought and software to align with the NuScale Power's Small Modular Reactor technology cutting edge culture. This position will also provide the opportunity to become involved in the corporate's long term strategic planning and intimately involved in the corporate project controls.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with the appropriate Project Manager(s) in the establishment of a new project, develop an appropriate work breakdown structure and project control hierarchy and establish this hierarchy in the Primavera scheduling tool including the appropriate schedule information, resource loading, and milestones consistent with project funding, timetable and objectives.
- Work with the Project Managers and Project Controls staff to create, update and maintain the project baseline (Scope, Time and Cost Management Plan). This includes coordination with all stakeholders, preparation of project controls tools and reports which present project earned value metrics and other performance indicators. Analyze project earned value data; identify and report adverse trends.
- Transfer monthly project related financial and procurement data from the Corporate ERP into the Project Controls data base and prepare necessary outputs for earned value and other project reporting and variance analysis.
- Assist in or develop and maintain periodic project status reports related to project progress including earned value metrics, and schedule performance.
- Develop and publish periodic project Level 2 and 3 milestone completion and status reports.
- Implement approved changes to the budget and forecast as well as develop and produce associated cost and schedule reports.
- Develop desktop guidelines for cost and schedule work.
- Provide support to project controls database development.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
CORE COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, the individual should demonstrate competencies in performing the essential functions of this position by performing satisfactorily in each of these competencies.
- Problem solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and reviews information appropriately. Uses own judgment and acts independently; seeks input from other team members as appropriate for complex or sensitive situations.
- Oral/written communication: Listens carefully and speaks clearly and professionally in all situations. Edits work for accuracy and clarity, Is able to create, read and interpret complex written information. Ability to develop strong interpersonal networks within the organization.
- Planning/organizing: Prioritizes and plans work activities, organizes personal and project timelines and deadlines, tracks project timelines and deadlines, and uses time efficiently.
- Adaptability: Adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent interruptions, changes, delays, or unexpected events.
- Dependability: Consistently on time and at work, responds to management expectations and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Team Building: Capable of developing strong interpersonal networks and trust within the organization. Leads consensus by involving all stakeholders, facilitating their understanding of differences, agreeing on requirements and constraints, and developing the best solution.
- Safety Culture: Adheres to the NuScale Safety culture and is expected to model safe behavior and influence peers to meet high standards.
MINIMUM SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES:
- Education: A minimum of a B.S. or B.A. degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Project Management, Accounting, or Business Administration. MBA preferred. Ten years of working experience in a formal project controls organization may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Experience: Minimum of eight years working in a project planning / scheduling or project controls organization is required. Possession of current PMP and/or PMI License OR working experience within the US commercial nuclear industry may be credited for 1-2 years overall working experience. Experience in maintaining a time management plan utilizing Oracle's Primavera P6 or Microsoft Project is required. Experience in maintaining a cost management plan and be able to demonstrate examples of implementing Earned Value Management, Cost Control, and Change Management concepts is required. Proficiency in planning and scheduling of FEED and EPC projects is desired.
- Industry Requirements: Eligible to work under Department of Energy regulation 10 CFR, Part 810.
- Quality Assurance: Demonstrated understanding in the implementation of quality assurance regulations, standards and guidelines of 10 CFR 50 Appendix B, 10 CFR 21, and NQA-1.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to understand and communicate clearly using a phone, personal interaction, and computers.
- Ability to learn new job functions and comprehend and understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately in a rapidly evolving environment.
- The employee frequently is required; to sit and stand; walk; bend, use hands to operate office equipment;