Organization OverviewAecon Group Inc. is Canada’s largest, publicly traded construction and infrastructure development company. Aecon and its subsidiaries provide services to private and public sector clients throughout Canada and on a selected basis internationally. Aecon is pleased to be recognized as one of the Best Employers in Canada.
Divisional OverviewAecon Energy offers a suite of unparalleled services to some of Canada’s largest energy suppliers, providing best-in-class solutions to the oil and gas, nuclear, co-generation, and renewable sectors.Business Unit OverviewThe joint venture between SNC-Lavalin and Aecon has been awarded a contract with Ontario Power Generation (OPG) to carry out the Darlington Retube and Feeder Replacement (RFR) project. The project involves refurbishment of all four reactors at the Darlington Generating Station and consists of two phases – a Definition Phase and an Execution Phase. The Definition Phase includes the construction of a full-scale reactor mock-up to simulate key elements of the refurbishment work, and the development, procurement and testing of specialized tooling required for the project. The Execution Phase involves refurbishment of the reactor cores using the tools and methods that were developed and tested during the Definition Phase.
DivisionEnergyCompany [Job Posting]Aecon Group Inc.Business UnitNuclearCityBowmanvilleProvince/StateOntario [ON]CountryCanada [CA]TitleProject Controls ManagerPosition OverviewReporting to the Manager, Project Controls at home office and Project Director, Business Services with the project this role is to lead the commercial management and control for the project in assigned to them. This includes the supervision of project control staff as required, detailed review of cost, forecast, risks, and schedule performance on all major projects to report any deviation from target and identify opportunities of improvement for management consideration.
- Key partner to Project Managers, Project Directors, Vice Presidents, and Operations Teams.
- Provide management with timely reviews and progress of all projects and activity.
- Advise management of developments that may affect project profit, costs, schedules, and client relations
- Ensures the development and maintenance of periodic status reports to keep management and/or the Owner informed on the projects progress. These reports may include labor productivity, schedule status, financial analysis, etc., reports on either direct or indirect construction activities that are a part of the work.
- Detailed review and analysis of project performance and reporting to understand key metrics (including CPI, SPI, key commodity tracking, etc.).
- Provide and oversee all reporting and analysis of project performance.
- Review and oversee schedules, estimates, and cost reports.
- Provide guidance to project teams to drive toolset/process adoption, ensure accuracy of key project metrics in a timely manner, and adherence to corporate guidelines and best practices.
- Work with corporate project controls department to help develop/implement new processes and procedures
- Implement and maintain timely and effective cost management processes, procedures and systems.
- Provide input in the bid process including commercial review of contracts, assessment of risk, and development of project control plans as required.
- Implement and maintain timely and effective schedule management processes, procedures and systems.
- Oversee and support project change management (subcontractor claims, change requests, claims and dispute resolution).
- Identify and evaluate quality risks that may have an impact on the project. Implements appropriate mitigation actions.
- Establish and maintain communications to ensure accurate and timely flow of information.
- Responsible for facilitation, evaluation and maintenance of historical information. Uses information to produce Project Controls system improvements
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate with other departments on continuous improvement initiatives.
- Help evaluate and document processes and procedures to be followed by project teams.
- Work closely with finance personnel to develop methodologies that will enhance accuracy of project level financial forecasting.
- Supervisory ResponsibilitiesFunctional guidance to all project control individuals on project
- Working with Project Management, assist in the staffing of the Project Controls portion for a project.
- Provide support, guidance, and training for project controls personnel.
Required Knowledge & Skills
- Undergraduate degree in Business or Engineering (CPA or P.Eng preferred).
- 10 years construction industry experience.
- Must have PCM experience supporting Engineering, Procurement, and Construction.
- Experience in planning, scheduling, financial analysis, budgeting, forecasting, and estimating.
- Experience working in and/or with joint ventures.
- Natural leader and team builder who can build strong relationships quickly.
- Knowledge of SAP, Primavera, Hard Dollar, Accubid, and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Proven strong analytical skills.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills; able to clearly identify and articulate issues to senior financial and operations management.
- A problem solver with sound judgement who accepts ownership and accountability.