Project Controls Engineer Job Purpose &ResponsibilitiesJob Purpose
- Prepare multi-discipline conceptual, detailed and definitive cost estimates for Site Projects in accordance with SABIC guidelines and procedures
- Ensure cost estimate is accurate, complete and covers the defined scope of work of the project
- The cost estimates are used primarily for decision making in business, as inputs for budgeting, cost or value analysis, asset and planning, or for project cost and schedule control processes
- Prepare schedules for all phases of projects
- Monitor, report and control project cost and schedule from FEL through project close-out
Cost Estimation, Planning & Control
- Establishing Estimate and Schedule Requirement- Interface with the project team and affiliate to establish project scope and framework with regard to the estimate and schedule
- Planning and Structuring the Estimate - Interface with the project team and affiliate to establish the work breakdown structure (WBS) and cost reporting structure and to develop a cost estimation plan
- Develop the +/- 10% Estimate - costing of the project scope based on input deliverables provided by the project team. Obtain supporting cost information from internal or external references or vendor sources. Benchmark with other projects and historical information. A +/- 40% estimate may also be developed at the request of the affiliate.
- Document the project basis and prepare reports - prepare estimate deliverables to the project team in accordance with the established estimate requirements. Generate the Basis of Estimate to document the details behind the estimate.
- Develop the Schedule – generate the schedule using basis as defined by E&PM. Align with PM regarding the level of detail required, which will vary with project complexity and project phase (level 1 – level 4)
- Risk analysis and contingency - estimate contingency costs through risk assessment and analysis, range estimating, or similar practices
- ScheduleRisk Analysis – conduct project schedulerisk analysis as required by E&PM procedures
- Project Progress Measurement System – establish Progress Measurement System to be followed for assessing and reporting progress in execution and to be used in invoicing for work
- Estimate, Schedule Review & Benchmarking - review the estimate and schedule with the project team, peers and management. Including analysis of cost and schedule parameters against relevant benchmarks. Make any changes that result from review comments. For projects >$300k USD, estimates and schedules will be validated by PAC (Project Assurance & Compliance) personnel in KSA.
- Issue the Cost Estimate and Schedule - issue the estimate and schedule (appropriate level 1-4) to the project team for use in establishing budgets, planning and project controls basis. During execution, for contractor bids, there is another step of pricing, including determination of profit and other mark-ups and allocations appropriate to the contract situation and integrating contractor generated schedules into overall project schedule.
- Project Control & Reporting - Ensure that established goals and objectives are measured and achieved. Monitor the cost & progress of the projects based on pre-defined budget & plan. Report achieved/missed milestones. Calculate CPI & SPI for projects based on EVA (Earned Value analysis). Track status of projects & generate reports for management.
- Overhead orotherrelated tasks- These include but are not limited to:
- Research, developing and maintaining cost estimating and benchmark databases
- Creating and maintaining cost estimating procedures, tools and algorithms
- Training costs of estimators
- Coordination and meetings with the project team and vendors
- Corporate departmental section and otherinternal meetings
- Measures work performance against engineering work standards.
- Assessment of timesheets and invoices as compared to PMS
- Execution of transactions in SAP (ie, create ARs, build WBS, manage budgets, generate PRs, SES, running cost reports)
- Develop projects lesson learned during projects phases & recommendations.
- Engage in planning/scheduling procedures review/enhancement according to individuals KPI.
Education and Training
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering degree or 10 years of relevant experience
- Minimum 5 years extensive estimating and schedulingexperience including petrochemical or oil & gas projects. Must be familiar with construction practices, materials and process equipment.
Job Specific Skills
- Knowledgeable of cost estimate classification and recommend practices in process industry
- Able to develop all levels of estimates. Understand and apply typical uses of factors, ratios, and indices, productivity factors in algorithm of various types and its application to estimate
- Preparation of detailed estimating plans prior to execution, including scheduling and assignment of responsibilities
- Ensuring work of estimating team is accurate and well presented in accordance with company policies and procedures
- Preparation of the overall or individual discipline cost estimate and summaries, as defined in the estimate plan
- Be able to prepare detailed estimate reports and basis of estimate write-ups and describe the typical content of estimate basis documentation
- Understand the functions of all estimating software systems
- Thorough knowledge of Project Phases, Various type of Project Contracting Strategies, Project Milestones & Project KPI’s.
- Able to lead and execute risk assessment activities, including preparation of Monte-Carlo type spreadsheet simulations, (if applicable)
- Be able to act as a Lead Estimator or Support during presentations of project/proposal estimates to management.
- Liaison with respective discipline engineers to establish and obtain equipment and material specifications and quantities (if required).
- Basic supervision skills
- Skilled working knowledge of all estimating software systems such as ASPEN ICARUS, Primavera 6
- Knowledge of Project Measurement Systems.
- Experience with SAPpreferred
- Good Project Management skills and knowledge of Project Management processes.
- Microsoft Office & Outlook, Communication Skills, Fluent in English (reading, writing and speaking).
- Good organizational and communication skills
- Must be self-disciplined and self-motivated
- Good verbal and written presentation ability