Project Controls Engineer
11 - 15 years experience • Professional, Scientific & Technical Services
Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson is a dynamic, 100% employee-owned consulting firm of more than 1,500 professionals that provides a full range of multi-disciplined engineering, architecture, information technology, and related services to public agencies and private clients throughout the United States. JMT, currently ranked #64 on Engineering News-Record’s list of the Top 500 Design Firms.
JMT is seeking a construction Project Controls Engineer in the Baltimore metro area. The PCE will act as the client’s representative working closely with the agency, A/E, user groups and others to complete the construction project on schedule and within budget. The PCE will review contract documents, assess project needs, attend construction project meetings, document progress, prepare status reports and provide recommendations on actions required to maintain project schedule, budget, quality, safety and customer satisfaction.
- Interpret contract documents and evaluate contract changes for entitlement
- Assist Resident Engineers in preparation of Contract Change Packages
- Develop Engineer’s Estimates as required for changed/additional work
- Review change documentation for completeness and compliance with MTA procedures and regulations.
- Assist with contractor negotiations for changed/additional work
- Assist in the review and analysis of Contractor’s requests for contract Time Extensions
- Assist in the defense of contract time-related disputes and/or claims
- Recommend corrective actions to include legal situations and non-responsive contractors
- Interpret contract specifications to assist in resolving disputes between contractors and the MTA
- Investigate and review contractor claims and advise the Project Controls Manager of findings
- Audit project records on an initial, interim, and final closeout basis for compliance with MTA policies and procedures
- Recommend application of liquidated damages
- Determine amount of Liquidated Damages to be assessed per day on various contracts prior to project advertisement
- Perform constructability reviews
- Conduct periodic construction project site visits to monitor project progress and assure progress schedule integrity, and participate in regular progress schedule meetings as required
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong technical knowledge of typical construction methods and procedures including cost-control measures and schedule analysis techniques
- Strong background of demonstrated ability in conflict resolution, negotiation, and claims analysis techniques
- Strong background in the interpretation and review of construction drawings, specifications, schedules, etc.
- Intermediate computer skills, including functional familiarity with Microsoft Office
- Bachelor’s Degree from a nationally accredited college or university in any of the following areas of study: Construction Management, Engineering (Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, Structural, Environmental, Systems disciplines), or similar course of study; Master's Degree preferred
- Professional license or certification such as PE, PSP, CCP or similar certification preferred
- 10+ years continuous Construction Management experience performing the duties of a Resident Engineer (RE), Office Engineer (OE), or equivalent