This position will allow you to show case your technical expertise in a leadership capacity throughout the firm. Your broad professional experience and deep industry knowledge will allow you to influence the practice of architecture within the firm. Your ability to work with and guide teams will provide the basis for a stronger firm, profession and industry.
SERA is a progressive, 100% employee-owned architecture, interior design and urban design & planning firm based in Portland, Oregon. Since 1968, SERA has been instrumental in the development of the city’s national reputation for livability. In 2015, we opened a second office in the Silicon Valley.
We work collaboratively with communities, universities, corporations, and institutions to formulate a sustainable development framework for the social, cultural, economic, and ecological infrastructure that underpins the making of whole and beautiful places.
Our culture reflects our commitment to great design, client service, and sustainability. SERA provides our employees with an enjoyable work environment and opportunities for professional and personal development. We provide quality service to our clients, while ensuring the growth and well-being of our team.
Job Title: Project Architect
Level: ARC VII
Supervisor: Studio Leader
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise, coordinate, plan and review the work of multiple teams. This includes mentoring of staff on project teams.
- Use the building code to develop architectural plans by providing unique interpretations and fine points of departure that advance the practice of architecture.
- Support the project by interacting/ negotiating with jurisdictions that advance the practice of architecture through persuasive techniques to obtain building permits.
- Interact with the client to achieve project goals. Proactively initiate potential solutions that advance the practice of architecture and SERA's Mission, Vision and Values.
- Understand and adhere to the project's contract requirements. Provide attention to detail at areas of higher risk or deemed critical for the success of the project.
- Provide strong leadership for the project assigned. Demonstrate firm wide leadership by helping other project architects and teams.
- Communicate project deadlines, phase completion, staffing needs and changes with project manager in a timely manner. This includes morale of the team, client perception, and the ability to forecast short term project needs.
- Be a recognized expert and essential resource to other SERA staff.
- Develop, articulate, define and execute the project scope for a wide variety of projects.
- Perform QA/QC.
- Ability to lead, organize and execute marketing and business development opportunities.
- May perform project management duties such as project work plan and schedule development for entire medium to large projects that are highly complex.
- May assist with and support the project manager, principal in charge and contracts/ legal/ risk/ accounting departments in negotiating and executing project contracts. This would include the prime agreement with the client and any sub consultant contracts.
- Understand trends in the A/E/C industry and how they apply to SERA culture, practices and processes.
- Participate in the interview process for hiring new staff.
- Participate/ lead in the management review of subordinate staff.
- Provide constructive feedback to facilitate continuous improvement.
- Engagement in industry groups to develop specialized knowledge.
- The ability and desire to take leadership roles in the office for a variety of assignments, either temporary or permanent.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Requires a Bachelor or Master’s degree from an accredited program.
- Licensed architect is required. Generally have 12+ years of experience.
- Proficiency in Autodesk Revit, Adobe Creative Suite, Bluebeam, and MS Office Suite required.
- LEED AP Preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Possesses advanced knowledge of the OSSC/ ADAAG and possesses the ability to achieve the intent of the code through variances and appeals.
- Possesses knowledge of other codes such as OMSC, OFC, NFPA, OSHA, FHA, ANSI, City of Portland, etc. and the USGBC LEED rating system and score card.
- Knowledge of Sketchup, SpecLink, Smartsheet, and Ajera preferred.
- Advanced ability to communicate through verbal, written and graphic communication formats.
- Advanced ability to determine the right tool for the task.
- Advanced ability to prioritize and evaluate multiple important tasks.
- Advanced critical thinking to identify strengths, weaknesses or alternate solutions to a problem independently.
- Advanced professional judgment and decision making processes to determine the most appropriate course of action.
- Advanced leadership skills that motivate and inspire to guide teams and projects toward desired outcomes.
- Established skills necessary to resolve conflicts within project teams.
- Established ability to negotiate with and/ or advocate for team members, consultants, clients, jurisdictions for the benefit of SERA and the project.