Project Architect / Project Manager
8 - 10 years experience • Professional, Scientific & Technical Services
HMC Architects designs solutions that work, wow, and withstand. We partner with healthcare, education, and civic clients to design buildings that promote healing, inspire learning, and create vibrant communities. Whether it’s a hospital, elementary school, student union, or community center, our empowered teams are experts when it comes to delivering successful projects and creating meaningful spaces.
Position: Project Architect/Project Manager
Location: Oakland, California
Responsible for technical development, coordination, design development and construction document phases of a medium to large size projects. Resolves technical, code and agency approval issues. Has consultants contact and authority to direct, control, and monitor project activities related to project technical documents.
Education: Architectural degree from an accredited university or equivalent demonstrated
Experience: Minimum of seven (7) years experience in production and coordination of
documents in all phases of architectural practice and in management of small projects desired.
Communication and Collaboration
• Listen and communicate effectively and professionally.
• Asks questions about assignments when unclear.
• Has working knowledge and understanding for use of HMC equipment and software.
• Coordinate with team members and consultants for conflicts and discrepancies.
• Ability to apprise supervisor and client for status of work.
• Establish productive working relationships and deal effectively and cooperatively with, team
members, consultants, and government agencies.
• Display willingness to make decisions; exhibit sound and accurate judgment; support and explain
reasoning for decisions; include appropriate people in decision-making process; make timely
* Collaborate with appropriate staff to meet goals and objectives of project.
* Coach, mentor, and provide performance-enhancing feedback of assigned team members.
* Answer technical questions on assigned projects.
Supervision and Delegation
• Ability to professionally communicate both verbally and in writing to give assignments to office
support staff, consultants and vendors.
• Ability to delegate assignments to support staff and always be respectful.
• Support supervisor in directing and managing assigned staff.
* Monitor technical aspects of projects and project team makeup in assigned studio.
* Supervise and manage up to six team members for all phases of projects.
* Source for monitoring employee performance on a daily basis and taking the appropriate action to
report both positive and negative performance.
* Assist and/or prepare evaluations and meet with their personnel to discuss the evaluation.
• Be proficient with HMC’s documentation and office practice systems.
• Ability to correspond effectively with agencies and consultants.
• Ensure that the documents meet the HMC and client standards and protocols.
• Write meeting minutes, instruction bulletins, change orders, RFI responses and professional
* Assist in review of agreements with clients and consultants.
* Write RFP’S and negotiate contracts with consultants.
* Ability to write and edit specifications
* Notates increased responsibility beyond position below.
• Always be professional and respectful in interactions with clients and consultants.
* May have primary role in marketing interviews and writing marketing proposals.
* Assist in resolving technical issues with client.
• Demonstrate motivation in seeking new responsibilities and challenges.
• Set goals, prioritize and plan work activities for self-management and use time efficiently.
• Estimate hours for assigned tasks and finish tasks within agreed upon budget hours for the task.
• Meet with their personnel to discuss the evaluations.
* Assist Project Manager in preparation and implementation of work plans, schedules, budgets, staffing projections and fees for large projects, and coordinate billing.
* Manage project technical documentation process in conjunction with Project Manager.
* Collaborate with design and production staff, construction administrator, and consultants.
* Understand contractual liabilities as they relate to projects including fee calculations,
* Prepare plans of action with their supervisor for resolving project related problems.
* Ensure that project conforms to contractual agreement with client, meeting all set budgets, goals, and work assignments for their project team that clearly defines project expectations.
* Have complete knowledge and follows HMC procedures, standards, and protocols.
• Participate in office design charettes.
* Support design team and ensure that the design intent is followed through all phases.
* Integrate design principles with project design team and maintain design integrity through all phases.
* Promote design quality and design collaboration.
* Collaborate with project design team for programming, planning and feasibility analysis
* Review documents to ensure quality, coordination and compliance with the requirements of deliverables in all phases.
* Assist in coordination with government agencies, utility companies and resolve plan check and approval issues with the agencies.
* Ensure that HMC and client standards and protocol are followed.
* Assist in guiding project team and consultants for appropriate materials and systems.
* Review documents for code compliance in all phases and issue code interpretations.
* Assist in reviewing cost estimates and conduct value analysis.
* Review and approve changes in collaboration with the project design team and client.
* Assist in supervision and resolution of issues in preparation of construction documents.
* Demonstrate capabilities of Construction Administrator.
* Responsible for the completeness of the specifications.
* Notates increased responsibility beyond position below.