Project Accounting Manager - Power, Oil & Gas Finance
Responsible for overseeing the day to day activities andsupervision of a group of project accounting professionals. Responsible for performing advanced level accounting duties of assigned projects, such as revenue recognition, transactional accounting, complex invoicing. Typicallyresponsible for analysis,forecasting,budgeting andreporting. Serves as trusted business advisor to management related tofinancial insight and performance. Provides resolution of complex and/or high-risk issues. Ensures the project is in compliance withcontractualobligations, as appropriate. Works under minimalsupervision.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Reviews and provides guidance regarding complex invoice matters. May approve credit memos
• Monitors and coordinates compliance with tax regulations
• Monitors cash collections for assigned group by actively communicating aging risk to project management to determine necessary collection actions. Communicates with clients regarding past due invoices.
• Directs research and responds to project related questions, including questions from management. Consolidates reporting for assigned business area. Provides ad hoc financial research and analysis to primary internal clients. Includes identifying areas of concern, recommendations and support of implementation.
• Reviews assigned project(s) and/or business area(s) income statement for accuracy; reporting, analysis and variance explanation for projects; identifies and communicates financial risk & opportunities. Budgeting &
• Updates business systems with project budget and current project forecasted costs.
• Prepares and analyzes project and/or business area budget & forecast; develops financial models. Provides oversight and review of financial inputs and metrics. Projects: • Prepares and/or reviews structures of projects, opens projects in accounting system. Consults with Corporate subject matter experts to minimize exposure.
• May administer project cash disbursements for assigned projects. • Communicates project financial information to management for assigned project(s) and/or business area(s). Identifies and communicates material variances.
• Reviews, presents, and may compile project financial data as required for project(s) and/or business area(s); notifies appropriate level of management with material variances. • Evaluates, develops and implements project accounting tools & procedures that enhance and improve overall results of assigned project(s) and/or business area(s).
• May assist by providing documentation to support the proposal process. May participate in proposal team process to develop cost estimates.
• Complexity and volume includes several of the following: joint ventures, reporting in currencies other than domestic, on-shore/off-shore, multiple contracts, multiple task orders, and/or purchase orders. Contract value corresponds with interactions of primary internal clients. Compliance:
• Assists with audit requests by providing and/or reviewing supporting documentation.
• Interacts directly with auditors as necessary. Supervisory & Resource Management:
• As a manager, provides direction to an assigned group. Typically oversees performance management, career planning, recognition, learning and development. Aligns individual project accountant goals with that of department, division and corporation. Evaluates project accountant training needs to prepare for staff growth and development.
• Responsibilities may include monitoring group budgets and metrics. Ensures policies, procedures, and processes are effectively developed, implemented, and communicated for workgroup. Ensures adherence to corporate and division programs.
• Identifies and assesses improvement opportunities which will add value. Champions continuous improvement efforts. Assesses and supports the change management effects associated with the implementation of improvements. Proactively supports, encourages and facilitates staff to engage in continuous improvement activities. Primary Internal Clients:
• Primary internal clients are senior vice presidents, vice presidents, associate vice presidents, project review board members, cost review board members, finance directors, senior finance managers and finance managers
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance, or equivalent experience. Typically 7+ years related experience. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
4+ years experience in Project Accounting.
Joint Venture Accounting Experience preferred.
Master Business Administration (MBA) or MS in Accounting, preferred. Preferably four years experience in project accounting. Experience in hiring and supervising professionals preferred.
Preferred Technical Competencies:
• Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, • Microsoft Access
• Knowledge of Black & Veatch Systems Preferred: Norad & Promis
Intermediate Knowledge of:
•Percent complete accounting
• Technical accounting knowledge
• Financial Statement analysis
• Foreign currency terminology and concepts
Basic Preferred Non-Technical Competencies:
• Customer Focus
• Written Communications
• Drive for Results
• Peer Relationships
• Dealing with Ambiguity
• Business Acumen
• Decision Quality
• Problem Solving
• Developing Direct Reports and Others
• Presentation Skills
• Confronting Direct Reports