The Project Accounting Manager will play a key role by partnering with the Senior Finance Manager to establish the project accounting (PA) function within the Finance department including but not limited to: developing and documenting PA processes; acting as a super-user for project accounting module(s) within MS D365; and hiring, leading and developing a team of project accountants to execute on end-to-end financial ownership of the full project lifecycle from set up to closure including: billing, forecasting, revenue recognition, expense management, reconciliation activities, operational support, reporting, and systematic solution.
A successful candidate will demonstrate a solid foundation of accounting combined with strong business acumen to analyze financial reports, identify trends and provide valuable insights into the drivers of financial performance.
The Project Accounting Manager will be adept at developing cross functional relationships with the primary goal of delivering superior customer service.
The successful candidate must possess a strong track record of setting and achieving team goals, driving continuous process improvement and, ultimately, partnering across functional teams by overseeing Merkle’s client financial management process.
The Project AccountingManager’s area of responsibility will include (but not be limited to) oversight of the following:
· Project Set Up: Create and maintain project structures and complete project setup within financial system (MS D365) in accordance with corporate policies.
· Billing: Create and maintain billing schedules in D365. Ensure accurate and timely client invoicing in accordance with client requirements/contractual provisions. Review tax application where applicable.
· Forecasting: Maintain monthly revenue forecasts/schedules in coordination with the project manager ensuring forecast timing aligns with anticipated timing of revenue recognition. Please note: this is a key area of focus
· Revenue Recognition: Partner with the revenue team to review contracts and ensure correct project set up. Book monthly revenue transactions in accordance with corporate revenue policies.
· Month End Close: Execute on all month-end responsibilities within expected timelines. Ensure all revenue and related expenses are accurately posted to projects prior to the end of the month. Review and maintain balance sheet accounts (WIP, deferred, unbilled, etc.) for respective projects, including reconciliations.
· Media Reconciliations: Reconcile media placements against invoices and track client payments as it relates to initiation/approval of payment of related vendor invoices.
· Project Closure: Ensure all projects are closed within the system to prevent future transaction posting. Ensure all balance sheet accounts are cleared/closed out (A/R, deferred, unbilled, WIP, etc.). Communicate to the G/L team the need to dispose of any fixed assets.
· Manage team: Manage day-to-day activities of direct reports. Act as an escalation point for project issues. Ensure proper structure and staffing of the team in order to meet project accounting needs. Train or ensure new team members are properly trained across all PA responsibilities in accordance with corporate policies.
· Lead team: Act as career advocate for direct reports with a focus on career development/career path for all team members. Communicate down to team all department initiatives. Hold regular team meetings.
· Client Team Support: Coordinate with direct manager to provide excellent customer service to client teams. Strive to improve communication and overall relationships with all stakeholders. Provide recurring, valuable insights into financial performance.
· Reporting: Distribute standardized reporting to assist business teams with client and project management
· ERP Implementation/Enhancements: Consistently evaluate system set up and functionality to propose enhancements/modifications.
Other Ad hoc Projects and Requests
· B.S. in Accounting or Finance
· 7+ years experience in the Accounting/Finance field, with 3+ years as a manager
· Project accounting experience in professional services or government industry
· Thorough knowledge of IFRS/GAAP
· Month end close experience
· Excellent change management skills
· Advance Excel Skills
· Experience with process improvement and improving process workflows
· Strong, effective written and oral communication skills
· Experience with complex, integrated accounting systems
· Ability to resolve complex operational and accounting issues
· Highly motivated, self-starter
· Ability to multi-task, work under pressure, meet deadlines
· Must be able to thrive in a fast-paced work environment