At WSP, the project accountant supports the project leads and is responsible for keeping a project portfolio throughout the project life cycle. Reporting to the Director of Finance, Infrastructure the project accountant has a solid understanding of contracts awarded in order to provide precise information in a timely manner and carry out all of the project's accounting activities, including project opening, imputed transactions, revenue recognition, cost estimates, revenue forecasts and project closure. Additionally, the project accountant makes sure that projects are set up in accordance with the terms of the contract, including margins sold. He/she participates in month-end analyses, provides a variance analysis to project leads, assist in the development of forecasts and budgets for the organization.
- Follow up on cost overruns with project leads, directors and VP;
- Assist in issuing monthly financial reports;
- Help prepare budgets and forecasts;
- Prepare various other accounting reports in order to provide information that supports taking action;
- Provide assistance to and answer various questions from billing agents;
- Monitor master agreements;
- Participate in various special projects;
- Support controllers by answering various requests for information or fulfilling any other work;
- Assist in developing and coordinate the firm's quarterly forecasts and annual business plan / budget and related updates;
- Develop effective financial performance metrics and information systems for management to improve decision making;
- Works hand in hand with Operation to optimize projects execution and predictability
- Carry out all related tasks considered relevant to the role of project accountant.
- Professional accounting designation preferred (CA, CGA, or CMA), college diploma in accounting or other relevant education.
- 6-8 years of experience in a similar position in financial and operational management;
- Knowledge of the professional services sector, project accounting and ERP systems;
- Ability to work under pressure and skilled at coordinating and prioritizing multiple tasks simultaneously while meeting tight deadlines;
- Good professional judgement and recognized and demonstrated interpersonal skills;
- Proficiency to translate financial results, information and ideas to non-financial professionals;
- Excellent command of tools in the Microsoft Office Suite;
- Highly fluent in both French and English (spoken and written) mandatory;
- Knowledge of the Deltek system is a plus.