WSP is currently initiating a search for a Program Safety Director for our Sacramento, CA office.
In a collaborative working relationship with the California High Speed Rail Authority's Chief Operating Officer, the incumbent is an executive responsible for occupational safety and health program development, improvement and implementation related to the capital program. The incumbent has the responsibility and accountability for employee health and safety programs related to the capital program for the Authority and its consultants. The incumbent will be responsible for monitoring and reporting on the compliance of safety in accordance with capital program contracts, Federal, state and local laws, and industry standards.
The incumbent helps to define and reinforce a culture of safety on the program and makes recommendations for continuous improvement in conjunction with the Authority its consultants and contracted entities. The incumbent will also be responsible for integrating FRA system safety and security processes in conjunction with a safety and security team and aligning them with other program project delivery groups. The incumbent will monitor and provide recommendations for corrective actions related to any findings, observations, reported incidents, incident investigations or other information obtained from the field operations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides executive level leadership, expertise and vision to assist in the development of a safety culture for the program.
- Coordinate with local and state law enforcement agencies to meet program’s security and policing requirements.
- Develops, makes recommendations for improvement, and implements existing and new safety programs and processes for the program and Authority.
- Integrates teams and provides training for Authority and consultant staff.
- Reviews future contracts and makes recommendations regarding construction program safety.
- Works with other program leads to evaluate the needs for future occupational health and safety programs as the work progresses.
- Assists the system safety and security program team with integration and program needs.
- Coordinates safety meetings as needed
- Monitor compliance and make recommendations regarding construction site safety program wide.
- Responds to incidents and coordinates the Authorities response while working with the Program Construction Safety Manager, PCM and DB contractor.
Talent is the essence of meeting our client’s objectives, goals and challenges. If this sounds like a fit for you, we’d love to have that first discussion of you joining our team.
- 15+ years directly related safety experience involving heavy civil construction and rail contracts under federal and state regulations, preferably in California, with experience of their workplace rules and regulations as they pertain to safe work practices.
- A Bachelor's degree in a technical discipline with an advanced degree preferred, directly applicable to the implementation of the role.
- Experience in developing and delivering high level safety training.
- Experience in leading cultural change related to occupational safety.
- Experience working with third parties on behalf of public clients to deliver traditional construction and Design-Build public works transportation projects, ideally in the California statutory and regulatory context.
- Experience developing program security and policing plans
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines and analyze and resolve a variety of procurement and contractual issues, with good verbal and writing skills.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- 5+ years of executive level safety management.
- Active safety certifications, CSP desired.
- Experience in the development and implementation of safety and security programs and plans in accordance with FRA, OHS, and APT A guidelines and regulations.