The Program Manager manages complex, strategic projects that span organizational boundaries and has experience managing multiple high-risk projects, including projects involving external vendors and multiple business areas. When groups of related projects are organized into programs, this position may manage multiple project managers whose projects provide specific deliverables; all which must be collectively managed to provide the desired outcomes.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage and direct multiple medium to large-scale projects.
- Translate generalized customer business goals and objectives into concrete strategy and tactical plans.
- Work on complex problems where analysis of situation or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors to achieve best results.
- Exercise judgment within broadly defined policies and practices to develop corporate methods/techniques.
- Work effectively with internal and external clients, third party vendors, and senior management in accomplishing program objectives.
- Evaluate complex situations accurately and identifies viable solutions that create successful outcomes for the customer.
- Work closely with the Program Sponsor and Executive Management to facilitate decisions necessary for program delivery.
- Oversee effective project oversight and reviews to effect program success.
- Resolve resource, budgeting, change, and legal issues affecting the program.
- Serves as a mentor/advisor/decision-maker to project managers for the program for issues related to client relations, governmental regulation, project quality, project risk, and safety.
- Oversee development of proposals and requests for proposals associated with the program.
- Oversee vendor relations and procurement related to the program.
- Oversee execution and delivery of projects related to successful program execution.
- Understanding of the strategic and operational issues of the project or business unit.
- Ability to train, mentor, and develop project managers in project management methodologies and their application.
- Liaison and consultative skills; negotiating skills within a context of high political sensitivity and conflicting interests.
- Presentation and written communication skills, including proposal writing.
- Ability to advise on complex matters to non-specialists.
- Demonstrated ability in managing internal and external client expectations on program requirements and deliverables.
- Highly developed business acumen.
- Skilled at requirements analysis and management.
- Strong writing, mentoring, negotiation, communication, and meeting facilitation skills; ability to utilize a combination of formal authority and persuasion skill sets.
- Strong integration skills; ability to coordinate all aspects of a project or program.
- Strong leadership, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage in a matrix environment.
- High School Diploma or GED and a minimum of 8 years' project management experience with experience in large, complex projects and management of distributed project resource teams. Must have held project management and/or leadership positions (reflecting increasing levels of responsibility) in an organization of comparable size. Demonstrated experience leading cross-functional teams within a formalized methodology.
- B.S. in Computer Science, MIS or related degree preferred.
- PMP® or other project management certification preferred.