Under direction of the Sr. Manager Agile Enablement CoE, the Sr Program Manager is responsible for supporting the strategy and successful execution of THP’s transition to an Agile / Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) development organization. The Sr. Manager Agile Enablement manages the most complex, highest external visibility programs of the longest duration including THP’s Scaled Agile transformation program. He / She will be responsible for managing specific functions through the Agile transition using Scaled Agile Framework and Agile methods. This is a critical role that requires significant influence with leaders and key stakeholders to ensure Lean processes and structures are being adhered to as well as providing guidance on how to improve. This incumbent will advise and coach our leaders through new ways of working with a Lean Agile methodology. They will provide training to development resources for continuous delivery techniques. Development, implementation and changes to these programs are the most complex, contain the most risk to THP, and have the most cost to the organization and to business partners. The Sr. Program Manager must be able to conceptualize and envision the impact of change, and propose new ways to do business on behalf of the organization.Job Description
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS* (in order of importance)
1. Overall program ownership and management key programs, focusing on both short-term initiatives and long-term strategic direction and objectives for the programs.
- Management of business implementation project managers and cross-functional operations, processes, and workflows within Tufts HP that support and service the programs.
- Proactive and solutions-oriented management of program operations and integration issues, requiring the ability conceptualize and envision the impact of change, and propose new ways to do business to better meet the needs of the client and Tufts HP
2. Highest level program manager for programs applying SAFe Agile experience and general project management expertise to ensure that workflows, processes, risks, communications, resources, and quality are managed appropriately within Tufts HP to support the client’s program and projects, at both the operational and corporate agenda level.
- Determines needs and defines, plans and directs implementation plan including transformational roadmap for SAFe transition;
- Identifies risk within the context of the broad project and accurately estimates and plans resource usage accordingly;
- Ensures that Tufts HP’s established project management tools, processes, standards, and techniques are followed and defines new, adapted for SAFe based on knowledge of existing processes and tools ;
- Exercises judgment to make decisions, or to raise issues to the appropriate level in a timely manner.
- Evaluates the cost and feasibility of multiple options/alternatives to resolve project issues and to make recommendations on those issues that best meet both program and corporate Tufts HP objectives;
- Manages project communications and interface with internal and external constituents to ensure that the program and project goals are met.
3. Leveraging her/his deep expertise with Agile principles and methods, large scale solution development and Organizational Change Management, the incumbent will work across business and IT to define and build consensus for the strategic roadmap, execution plan and funding levels required to manage the execution of this large change initiative. This program will effectively change the way THP develops and delivers solutions resulting in dramatically improving speed to market, IT quality and cost-efficiency gains.
4. Will work with key individuals from the organization to define changes required to existing processes in order to adapt the THP delivery methodology to the Lean SAFe best practices. Will work with the lead to identify the proposed changes and build overall strategy and solution to end-to-end development delivery in SAFe Agile
5. Responsible for building a Lean Portfolio Management (LPM) structure that will support the Value Streams with the appropriate funding to develop and maintain portfolio products and services through a single stream of budget prioritization. Will also measure key metrics across all value streams down to the scrum team level – throughput, velocity and production defects.
6. The incumbent will be involved with advising and coaching our senior leaders on the principles and behavior changes that must take place to propel the transition.
7. Support scaling up the Lean Center of Excellence and work with partners to be able to train and coach THP organization in agile principles and to move all of development to be a high-performing agile organization. As part of the agile training, s/he will support train development resources on test-driven development, DevOps and continuous delivery techniques. Ultimately s/he will enable all scrum teams to deliver continuous business value on demand to our end customers and clients.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS: KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES
EDUCATION: (Minimum education & certifications required)
- Requires a Bachelor’s Degree with a Master’s degree preferred
- Certification in Agile and Scaled Agile Framework required
EXPERIENCE: (Years of experience)
- 10 or more year’s business or industry experience. 8 + years of program management experience, including leading the most cross -functional high-level initiatives.
- Minimum 4+ years of experience in Agile or Scaled Agile experience (either working in Agile/SAFe environment or experience rolling out new to organization Agile methodology) Experience as a Scrum Master or RTE is desired
- Experience in the domain of strategy or technology consulting is an advantage
- Significant business process and program management experience related to the implementation of healthcare insurance business applications and products using industry-standard project and program management tools and techniques with established track record.
- Experience with managing technical implementations, as well as deep knowledge of the SDLC (Systems Development Life Cycle)
- A proven ability to meet deadlines is also required.
SKILL REQUIREMENTS: (Include interpersonal skills)
- Ability to thrive in a matrix-management, hands-on environment that demands a consultative approach and solutions that span multiple environments in a business area.
- Outstanding communication and relationship management skills required, including the ability to effectively manage difficult group dynamics to effectively reach a positive outcome; very strong situation leadership skills.
- SAFE agile certification
- Excellent human resource management skills, ability to oversee team of project managers as part of the overall program
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills, ability to communicate with and influence internal and external constituents at all levels with confidence.
- Highest level presentation skills including ability to interface and “sell” new programs and changes to existing programs to a broad range of internal and external contacts, as necessary. Ability to interact with confidence with external and Tufts HP senior management.
- Advanced MS Office knowledge (MS PowerPoint, MS Excel, MS Word)
- Ability to develop and present new ideas and conceptualize new approaches and solutions
- Ability to work independently and produce proposed approaches, solutions, etc. starting from a high level idea
- Ability to facilitate complex discussions and gain consensus amongst parties with different visions or opinions
- Strong negotiating, influencing, and advocacy skills, ability to lead others both internally and externally to ensure the success of the program.
- Ability to navigate political issues using advanced organizational (Tufts HP) knowledge.
- Must be flexible and a proponent/champion of change, able to conceptualize and envision the impact of change, and propose new ways to do business.
- Must be an accomplished multi-disciplinary team-leader and team-builder with hands-on style. Ability to lead teams whose members have diverse professional and educational backgrounds, and to effectively manage difficult group dynamics to effectively reach a positive outcome.
- Ability to balance strong leadership on day-to-day program management and significant issues while also aligning with program director’s broader needs and vision for the program.
- Ability to present technical information in a way that establishes rapport, persuades others, and gains understanding.
- Requires the ability to maintain effective and productive peer relationships. Must have the ability to motivate fellow employees by fostering team spirit, an attitude of cooperation, and a commitment to the organization. Requires well-developed interpersonal skills to act in the capacity of liaison to the user community.
- Possess strong influencing and situational leadership skills with the ability to manage and motivate both direct and non-direct reports. Must have a demonstrated ability to obtain the confidence and trust of non-reports, resulting in high commitment and cooperation.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: (include special requirements, e.g., lifting, travel, overtime)
- Fast-paced office environment handling multiple demands. Moderate use of telephone and extensive use of PC required.
- Requires that the individual be organized while being readily adaptable to changes in work priorities.
- Flexible hours permitted providing the needs of the organization are met.
- May require occasional evening or weekend hours as the needs of the organization dictate.
- May require occasional vendor site visits, or attendance at seminars.