Google's projects, like our users, span the globe and require managers to keep the big picture in focus. As a Program Manager at Google, you lead complex, multi-disciplinary projects. You plan requirements with internal customers and usher projects through the entire project lifecycle.
This includes managing project schedules, identifying risks and clearly communicating goals to project stakeholders. Your projects often span offices, time zones and hemispheres, and it's your job to keep all the players coordinated on the project's progress and deadlines.
The Operational Excellence Steering Committee (OESC) is comprised of a group of Data Center Operations leaders, the OESC Program Manager works with this team to provide direction and resources and acts as the approval authority for the teams building the tools and systems that support global data center operations.
The OESC supports operations at Google data centers, including control room operation, critical switching, production risk management, incident management, control, monitoring and alerting (BMS/PMS), emergency operating procedures, deployment and machine fulfillment, operational assessments, and work notifications.
In this role, you will assist EOSC in running programs and operations. You will work directly with OESC, Data Center Operations (DCOps), and partner teams within and outside Google Data Centers (GDC). You will be motivated and have a passion for operations excellence and automation.
Additionally, you will propel operational excellence and lead teams into achieving their goals and mission. This role may also be located in Douglas County.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible.
We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We're always on call to keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Execute OESC mission and objectives and define, track and execute OESC objectives and key results (OKRs). Manage OESC projects priorities and project marketplace resource pool and advocate OESC's approval authority and decision making process.
- Promote OESC's vision and interface with stakeholders in Data Center Operations and other groups (e.g., Hardware Operations, Data Center R&D and Engineering(DCRE), etc.). Advocate OESC as the authority for data center operational excellence and create and manage communication channels between OESC and Data Center Operations as needed.
- Manage OESC program efforts, set the agenda, run OESC meetings and summits, facilitate discussions and decision making according to OESC charter and values, and be the liaison between OESC and the wider DCOps team with regards to resources and required approvals.
- Manage the OESC product managers (PMs) (i.e., project marketplace delegates) and coach and support the delegate PMs running OESC projects. Create program charters and job description for the delegate roles and raise and manage OESC headcount based on OESC's priorities and objectives.
- 10 years of experience in global people management or project management. Experience setting direction and strategy for complex programs.
- Experience in data center operations policies and practices. Experience in a relevant discipline (e.g., critical operations, maintenance, controls systems).
- Experience in data center operations, semiconductors, pharmaceutical, power, nuclear, or other continuous mission critical industry.
- Experience in global data center design, construction and deployment practices.
- Experience managing strategic complex projects across different groups and disciplines.
- Experience building consensus and excellent negotiation skills.
- Ability to gather feedback and information from Data Center Operations team to contextualize and conceptualize into organization-wide needs.
- Excellent leadership, analytical, quantitative reasoning, problem-solving, creativity and strategic skills.
- Excellent communicator of project requirements and schedules. Excellent and effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Interest in operations excellence and automation and program and technology advocacy.