Our legacy of unsurpassed patient care and unceasing mission to integrate high-tech medical research with clinical operations has led to our prestigious standing as one of the top 10 hospitals in the nation according to U.S. News & World Report. As a premier health care institution dedicated to advancing health worldwide, UCSF Medical Center can also be the best place to advance and shape your career.
The medical center's employees are one of the most important reasons why we are recognized as one of the nation's best hospitals. To work at UCSF Medical Center is to be part of an institution that provides the highest caliber of care to patients; a nurturing, dynamic and team-oriented atmosphere in which to best use your skills and talents.
UCSF Health has embarked upon a multi-year value improvement strategy designed to increase access, improve patient care, and lower costs. This new role will provide leadership and facilitation of the overall value improvement strategy and priority initiatives.
This critical position provides programmatic, analytical, and administrative oversight for the Executive Project Management Office for Value Improvement, including the coordination of communications and pertinent data. The position represents the Executive Project Management Office in all interactions with physicians, staff and all levels of management within UCSF Medical Center, UCSF Campus, as well as outside agencies.
Develops and oversees the implementation of key Project Management Office initiatives and processes, including financial and analytical reporting for executive leadership. Regularly works on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires advanced operational concepts and an in-depth evaluation of variable factors. Exercises judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results. Primarily deals with programs and proposals with broad impact across the function, program and/or organization.
Brings deep analytic skills to understanding financial and operational data and developing insights on where and how to focus organizational improvement efforts. Uses knowledge of financial and clinical systems and industry practices to advise operational leaders and their teams on how to connect costs to the work performed. Works to develop strong linkages between costs and improvement work and Return on Investment (ROI) for individual projects and across the system.
Performs and/or oversees special projects or assignments that are complex in nature, requiring a high level of initiative and attention to detail in execution and implementation; problem-solving frequently requires analysis of unique issues and problems without precedent and/or structure. Must be an independent problem solver and be able to work in a fast-paced, high intensity environment.
- Five years of experience in program management
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training
- Advanced analytical / problem-solving skills
- Has ability to independently gather relevant data from stakeholder groups, perform statistical analyses, and organize into models that support budgeting and forecasting
- Experience performing complex data analysis. Understands variation and can apply statistical tools to large data sets to uncover anomalies
- Ability to present information in a clear and concise manner both in writing and verbally
- Skills in project management and process re-design/re-engineering, coupled with a strong sense of responsibility for assigned duties; demonstrated ability to handle and prioritize multiple assignments and overlapping deadlines
- Proven ability to work effectively across the organization at all levels and function as a member of a team
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively across the organization at all levels and function as a member of a team
- Appropriate/relevant leadership skills to provide guidance, coaching and mentoring to professional and support staff in the areas of value measurement and improvement
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities
- Ability to use a high level of discretion and maintain all confidentiality
- The flexibility to orient and work at all UCSF Medical Center locations
- Project Management Professional
- Lean or LeanSix Sigma
- Master’s degree in data science, statistics, analytics, finance, or health care administration
- Knowledge of finance policies, practices and systems
- Experience with health care facility cost accounting and/or billing systems
- Experience using EPSi or another hospital decision support software application is desirable, as is having worked in an Epic health records environment
- Preference for those with experience in a LeanHealthcare system
Living Pride Standards
- Demonstrates service excellence by following the Everyday PRIDE Guide with the UCSF Medical Center standards and expectations for communication and behavior. These standards and expectations convey specific behavior associated with the Medical Center’s values: Professionalism, Respect, Integrity, Diversity and Excellence, and provide guidance on how we communicate with patients, visitors, faculty, staff, and students, virtually everyone, every day and with every encounter. These standards include, but are not limited to: personal appearance, acknowledging and greeting all patients and families, introductions using AIDET, managing up, service recovery, managing delays and expectations, phone standards, electronic communication, team work, cultural sensitivity and competency.
- Uses effective communication skills with patients and staff; demonstrates proper telephone techniques and etiquette; acts as an escort to any patient or family member needing directions; shows sensitivity to differences of culture; demonstrates a positive and supportive manner in which patients / families/ colleagues perceive interactions as positive and supportive. Exhibits team work skills to positively acknowledge and recognize other colleagues, and uses personal experiences to model and teach Living PRIDE standards.
- Exhibits tact and professionalism in difficult situations according to PRIDE Values and Practices
- Demonstrates an understanding of and adheres to privacy, confidentiality, and security policies and procedures related to Protected Health Information (PHI) or other sensitive and personal information.
- Demonstrates an understanding of and adheres to safety and infection control policies and procedures.
- Assumes accountability for improving quality metrics associated with department/unit and meeting organizational/departmental targets.
- Keeps working areas neat, orderly and clutter-free, including the hallways. Adheres to cleaning processes and puts things back where they belong. Removes and reports broken equipment and furniture.
- Picks up and disposes of any litter found throughout entire facility.
- Posts flyers and posters in designated areas only; does not post on walls, doors or windows.
- Knows where the Environment of Care Manual is kept in department; corrects or reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate departments.
- Protects the physical environment and equipment from damage and theft.