Job Description Summary
BD is searching for a Program Manager (PM) to drive the development of complex, integrated software solutions that drive and enable clinical laboratory automation. In this highly visible role, the successful candidate will lead a cross-functional and global Core Team to execute all aspects of the product development life cycle using BD's GPDS (Global Product Development System) process. This individual will have responsibility for developing and delivering a suite of products that are key to business strategy, and must guide the evolution of a product line that has become more dependent on software to deliver value and differentiation.
The program manager is responsible for delivering products on-time, on-budget, and that meet and exceed defined market need. He/she will demonstrate excellence in project management and adhere to BD's quality procedures that govern product development in a regulated environment.
The program manager has a commitment to achieving defined strategic and financial objectives once the project has launched, and is measured on their ability to lead the team in achieving cost, schedule, and performance goals.
Key competencies of a high-functioning program manager include:
- the ability to develop and implement innovative ideas and approaches,
- understand and realize commercial excellence,
- optimize team execution and performance,
- and excellence in cross-functional and project leadership
- Project Management
- Support platform teams in the development of high-level product concepts to fulfill the customer and/or market requirements
- Establish GPDS project deliverables and scaling plan
- Lead cross-functional core team activities to deliver the overall project plan, including budget, resource and schedule planning
- Execute product development and functional readiness plans throughout the project life cycle.
- Identify and manage risks across the business, proactively escalating to functional leadership to mitigate impacts to project scope, budget or delivery timeline.
- Coordinate final business reviews and ensuring rigor in launch preparedness across all functions.
- Articulate the overall business plan to leadership on behalf of the business and core team to gain agreement and approval to continue to development
- Team Management
- Lead a cross-functional and geographically distributed team to deliver on a complex, highly visible project
- Resolve personal/team conflicts and project/functional conflicts by working with appropriate functional leaders as needed to resolve issues around functional input, expertise, or skill sets needed on the project(s).
- Mentor and provide feedback to Core team members and their management.
- Product & Commercial Rigor
- Work with Marketing and Customer Experience teams to help define, refine and understand customer/market requirements.
- Establish GPDS and commercial rigor in the development of a cross functional business plan for that product or software version release
- Lead design and business phase gate reviews for the assigned project
- Constructively challenge how requirements meet customer needs, and escalate risks, issues and concerns to appropriate functional leadership and/or the PDT.
- Continuous evaluation of market and cross-business commercial needs to constructively challenge the core team and ensure quality, reliability, stability of product design including acceptability of product by target customers
- Work with the Finance and Marketing Core Team Members to develop the financial analysis (P&L) of the project as needed
- Work with the Core team members to prepare 3-year program budget estimates and next fiscal year detailed budgets for the program (cross project) covering labor and non-labor expenses.
- Budget recording in resource management systems.
- Accountable for tracking spend to budget across functions.
- Responsible for accurate and timely reporting to on program and project level status to business and corporate stakeholders.
- Provide status updates as needed, including contract breaks to the Portfolio Decision Team as well as regular updates to Platform teams
- GPDS/Program Management Excellence
- Work with functional leadership and program management to appropriate scale GPDS activity for software programs to ensure team efficiency and responsiveness.
- Drive to eliminate or minimize critical barriers to progress, including raising significant hurdles to Sr. management's attention for resolution.
- Align and manage all cross-functional activities to deliver the product on time and on budget per contract while meeting agreed upon technical, operational, quality and commercial customer requirements.
- Responsible for managing multiple concurrent releases of the product, understanding dependencies and impacts within the program team as well as dependencies and delivery impacts across other related product development teams in the broader organization.
- Identify conflicts and analyze and prepare impact assessments for affected programs and escalating to cross business management team with recommended course of actions.
- Support other products teams in their GPDS life cycle to integration assessment (consideration) and impact of informatics to their GPDS projects, and prepare suitable plans where Informatics requirements exist.
- Bachelor's Degree required. MBA preferred.
- Demonstrated achievement in healthcare and medical technology (diagnostics or devices preferred)
- Minimum of 5 years relevant Core Team Leader or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of team leadership in product development with progressively increasing complexity of assignments.
- Experience in leading software project teams.
- Experience in a regulated environment; preferably a medical device, biotechnology or pharmaceutical company.
- Experience with 510(k) and PMA submissions.
- Experience with time reporting and project management tools.
- Knowledge of software development, preferably with agile methodologies.
- Knowledge of the unique requirements of cloud computing and Protected Heath Information.