This position is responsible for managing application development releases that can approach over 30,000 hours per release. The technology is diverse and spans distributed, mobile and mainframe applications. The candidate will also be a key contributor to overall process and tools necessary to manage releases, as well as improvements to the release management processes.
Essential Job Functions
- Manages risks and resolves issues that affect release scope, schedule and quality
- Measures and monitors progress to ensure application releases are delivered on time and within budget, and that they meet or exceed expectations
- Coordinates release content and effort based on the service request backlog, pending service requests, third party applications.
- Communicates effectively on all key project plans, commitments, and changes including requirements, QA plans, schedule, and scope changes
- Plans release windows, cycles and release calendars across a portfolio
- Manages relationships and coordinates work between different teams at same or different locations. Manage all key stakeholders expectations.
- Conducts Release Readiness reviews, Milestone Reviews, and Business Go/No-Go reviews
- Proficient in Agile (Scrum/SAFe), Waterfall, Iterative methodologies and tools like Serena Business Manager (SBM), GITHUB, CA RALLY, SharePoint, MS Office etc.
- Produces Deployment Plans and should be able to work on multiple concurrent releases.
- Communicates release details and schedules to the Business as required
- Act as release engineer to understand impacts of branches and code merges
- Maintains the release schedule for all core services and ensure alignment across key partners and vendors.
- Continually work towards making improvements in the release process
- Leads and co-ordinates the Go-Live activities including the execution of the deployment Plans and checklists.
- Maintains a release repository and manages key information such as build and release procedures, dependencies, and notification lists
- Researches new software development and configuration management methodologies and technologies and analyzes their application to current configuration management needs
- Acts as a mentor for Team Members.
- Shows the ability to work within deadlines and be flexible with changing priorities.
- Shows strong communication skills – both written and verbal – with the ability to communicate effectively to technical and non-technical team members, as well as executive through staff level positions within the company.
- Develops a detailed knowledge of multiple department’s products, applications and processes.
- Supports other members within IT and end-user departments to ensure the successful implementation of releases
- Identifies and communicate departmental training needs to Senior Management.
- Identifies technology changes that could improve internal processes/procedures or alter the production processes associated with the end product and work with Senior Management to implement said technologies.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
Physical Actions Required job duties are essentially sedentary work consisting of occasional walking, standing and lifting and/or carrying 10 lbs. maximum, and seeing.
Physical Environment Required job duties are normally performed in a climate controlled office environment.
Education Requirements Bachelors degree or equivalent or specific relevant experience
- At least 5 years’ experience in delivering Business or Technology systems and Complex System Integration Solutions within large scale organizations.
- At least 5 years’ experience in the following: release management project techniques, enterprise architecture, application life cycle, AGILE, ALM tools, software selection, and IT project management
- At least 5 years’ experience in leading engagements that deliver complex IT releases with tangible results, working across organizational boundaries, and interfacing with IT and business leaders.
- At least 5 years’ experience in understanding current technology trends and their impact on release management
- At least 3 years’ experience in developing team relationships.
- At least 3 years’ experience delivering within a release management environment
- Ability to interface with diverse team including a heavy outsourced contingent
- Go-getter, can do attitude and persistency
- Sees process as a means to end, not an end/destination
- Comfortable in a fast-moving, high change frequency