Key Duties and Responsibilities
1. Leads and directs highly complex, large-scale, global, cross-functional high value capacity expansion projects with diverse project teams, in alignment with CSL strategic and operational priorities.
- Directs and motivates project managers and teams to achieve project objectives and desired program results.
- Assures effective prioritization of interdependent project activities.
- Creates temporary performance (matrix) environments with effective governance frameworks enabling peak performance and team results.
- Arbitrates and resolves complex issues, conflict, and interface problems between diverse project teams, senior level functional partners and stakeholders,
- Works closely with Sponsors, Steering Committees, and functional leaders to overcome obstacles to project success.
2. Strategic Initiatives
- Works closely with site leaders, global stakeholders, and the project team to assure communication and implementation of project management leading practices as appropriate.
- Highly effective project management with a keen understanding of interdependencies.
- Strong oversight of vendor and procurement management, including sequencing receiving, staging and installation activities.
- Strong awareness of:
- Process design
- Facility and utilities design and construction
- Commissioning and qualification
- Quality and safety
3. Builds internal Project Management capabilities
- Leads and coordinates the development of project management standards and templates for expansion projects.
- Creates a PM development strategy to build internal PM capabilities for staff.
- Assures that lessons are applied from previous projects and programs and directs assessments for mid-stream improvements on projects and for utilization by future projects initiated by the enterprise.
4. Communication and Change Management
- Directs the transition to operations, including training and user adoption of related processes.
- Works closely with site leadership and functional management to define and deliver on expected deliverables and value.
- Assures access to subject matter experts with the requisite capabilities to support project definition and planning as required to successfully complete the project work.
- Assures effective team and internal/external stakeholder communication, keeping stakeholders informed of progress and issues in order to manage expectations on all requirements and deliverables.
- Assures that documentation is kept current, clear and transparent and is communicated as appropriate.
- Escalates key decisions, issues, risks and opportunities as required to achieve objectives.
- Helps to manage and build relationships with external partners, e.g., vendors, as appropriate.
- Represents projects at requiredinternal and external meetings to assure that priorities are communicated and understood, and that progress/delays/issues/risks/opportunities are reported.
5. Situation Analysis and Initiation
- Helps to translate CSL strategic and operational priorities into projects designed to deliver intended value by supporting the development of the Kankakee Site Development Strategy.
- Assures that situational analysis provides the data required to well characterize projects.
6. Project Definition
- Assures that projects have well developed target value and directs the identification of work to achieve intended value.
- Oversees the identification of resource requirements and project costs.
- Accountable for developing/defending the business case with project managers, sponsor, and key stakeholders.
7. Project Planning
- Assures that required project resources are identified and secured to complete the work of the project.
- Directs the development of project schedules with timelines and interdependencies for all tasks and the identification of key milestones.
- Assures appropriate identification and assessment of risks and opportunities related to the project.
8. Project Implementation and Closeout
- Directs the project organization in monitoring and controlling planned Time, Cost and Performance (Scope) against actuals, and the identification, reporting and resolution of all significant variances where they exist.
- Assures that all financial aspects of the project are properly managed.
- Monitors for effective use of resources (human capital and other resources).
- Assures effective issue, risk and opportunity management in order to protect the project plan and maximize delivered value.
- Assures that the project is closed out properly following completion, including summary reports and lessons learned.
- Supports value realization efforts throughout the project and at closeout.
9. Participates in the hiring, growth and development of project management staff and actively role models expected project management and leadership behaviors and processes designed to improve project results and the performance of the team.
RequiredEducation: College degree, preferably in a related technical subject; or advanced degree in business or industry-related subject or equivalent related work experience. Preferred: An advanced degree (MS, PhD) in a relevant discipline (or equivalent) or Business Administration (or equivalent). Project management certification / training desirable.
- 5 – 10 years demonstrated experience leading global, multi-functional teams.
- Strong leadership, consultative, communication, and conflict management skills to influence project leaders and stakeholders, including non-specialists, at all levels in the organization and achieve team objectives while maintaining a positive team environment.
- The ability to train, mentor, and develop project staff in project management methodologies and their application; the ability to manage in a matrix environment.
- The ability to work on complex problems where analysis of situation or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors to achieve best results.
- The ability to clearly communicate complex issues to senior management so that critical issues are understood quickly and can be addressed immediately.
- Strong strategic planning, quantitative, and decision analysis capabilities.
- Strong project management and integration skills; ability to coordinate all aspects of a project or program.
- Demonstrated experience in developing, managing, and controlling cross functional project budgets.
- 5 – 10 years’ experience using a formal project management methodology, techniques and tools.
- Proficiency and use of enterprise computer applications including the Microsoft suite of products and project management software.
- Experience in biopharmaceutical industry
- Therapeutic knowledge in CSL Behring’s focus areas including: Bleeding disorders, immunology, respiratory, and cardiovascular.