Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in speciality glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
The Specialty Materials segment manufactures products that provide more than 150 material formulations for glass, glass ceramics and fluoride crystals to meet demand for unique customer needs. Consequently, this segment operates in a wide variety of commercial and industrial markets that include display optics and components, semiconductor optics components, aerospace and defense, astronomy, ophthalmic products, telecommunications components and cover glass that is optimized for portable display devices.
Scope of Position:
- Position will be responsible for leading technical teams and working with customers to execute programs and meet customer in market needs in a broad case of optical technologies
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Defines and executes an overall program plan, including financial and people resources that allows the program to scale appropriately in each stage to meet program objectives and remain within budget. Drives the program's progress, reconfirming the program's value proposition at each stage, and recommending the progression (or elimination) of the program at each stage to leadership, as appropriate
- Constantly monitors for changes in customer requirements/scope or other assumptions and determines the impact on the program's strategy, business case, business model, predicted level of risk, resource requirements, speed, and value proposition. Works with customers during each stage to keep them engaged, to manage the scope of the program, and to interpret their perception of the product being developed.
- Sets key program messages and manages the information flow related to program direction, issues, needs, and progress with key program constituencies including business leadership, corporate leadership, customers, and team members.
- Develops and manages a compelling business case (including P&L and balance sheet implications) and value proposition for the product relative to the division’s strategy, market needs, and competition. Identifies commercial, technical, and manufacturing levers to improve the program's business case. Oversees product testing and evaluation to confirm the initial value proposition, build fundamental understanding of the technology that enables continued differentiation, and ensure manufacturing implementation of requirements are met.
- Identifies potential origins of strategic control, ensures that intellectual property is protected
- Utilizes Corning's innovation process as appropriate to direct program activities.
- 10% - 25% at times depending on the program. May involve international travel.
Required to sign covenant not to compete
- BS in Engineering - Optical, Mechanical or related field (or experience in optics)
Required Years and Area of Experience: 3-5 years with proven record of executing technical programs
- Project Management / Leadership
- Ability to lead technical team in resolution of problems and execution of strategy
- Ability to interact with customers, building strong relationships for success
- Ability to work cross functionally (commercial, technical, technology)
- Able to track and manage spending, revenue, resources & schedule for programs
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office Tools (Powerpoint, Excel, Word, Project). Able to set project direction using project management tools (ie. MS Project, risk assessment, scope management, etc)
- Financial skills in the creation and evaluation of potential business strategies
- Independent problem solving and development of approach to solutions. Able to make sound decisions by blending analytical thinking with practical judgment. Ability to discern technical approaches by asking the right questions of the team.
- Communication skills both formal and informal. Ability to articulate clear direction, risks and program purpose across multiple organizational levels (management to project team). Able to define, prioritize & defend milestones.
- MSdegree or higher in optics
- Ability to assist in the organization of systems for program management
- Familiar with Corning's innovation process
- Knowledge and experience working with the S&T organization or other research groups
- Experience with Stage 3 to Stage 5 transfer to manufacturing
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
- Ability to articulate clear direction and program purpose
- Entrepreneurial attitude and approach toward the creation of new programs
- Creative problem solver
- Desire to create products and processes that grow the AO platform
- Process discipline oriented. Follows established protocols and processes. Evaluates opportunities for improvements.
- Organized, rigorous attention to detail. Self-starter/Motivated
- Experience leading internal or external technical teams in the creation of new products or services. Demonstrated ability to work with customers is a strong advantage.
Req #: 3043