With BD and Bard coming together, the MDS business is comprised of the world leading products needed to safely prepare and administer medication, such as: Injection Systems (Conventional and Safety hypodermic needles & syringes, Enteral/Oral syringes, Spinal & Epidural needles etc), Vascular Management Systems (BD PosiFlush™ pre-filled syringes, ChloraPrep™ infection prevention products & Hazardous Drug Safety products), Infusion Specialty Disposables products and Vascular Access Devices. MDS is focused on reducing complications, improving patient safety/outcomes, and lowering total cost of care around the world.
Reporting to the Director of Program Management, this role will be supporting the Vascular Management Systems and Injection Systems Business Groups (VMSI) of MDS. The cross functional Program Manager will be responsible for leading and motivating a complex cross functional team or a program with one or more projects to define and develop a product (s). This Leader will define the program architecture and drive successful project / program execution globally. The Program Manager will effectively develop, organize and motivate a highly skilled cross-functional team. In addition, they will create and drive go-to-market strategy and ensure successful commercial launch. This high visibility leadership role will present frequently across various levels up to and including the PDT.
- Applies extensive technical expertise & has full knowledge of related disciplines. Develops technical and business process solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity. In partnership with the platform and core team member, leads the development and commercialization, go to market and launch strategy for the project(s).
- Responsible for the creation of the project work breakdown structures, risk management, integrated business plans and product requirements. Leads the cross functional development of product architecture for each functional area, synthesizes functional plans and identifies critical interdependencies to drive successful execution of the project.
- Technical and business skills and judgment to significantly influence the technical and business direction of the project. Able to create and influence novel thinking of the team.
- Ability to lead and drive the identification, validation, and mitigation planning of all project risks, including technical, schedule, business, resource, based on thorough understanding of the technical and business content of the integrated project plan and the work breakdown.
- Ability to communicate complex technical and business issues completely, concisely, and effectively to enable high-quality decision making and drive cross-functional alignment.
- Has a thorough understanding of all functional work streams in a phase gate process and a vision of an integrated project plan.
Scope of Responsibility
- Executes a project or multiple projects of medium scale and moderate complexity by leading cross functional teams individually or with an additional project leader. Examples would be larger and more complex new product development line extensions or new products that are new to the business.
- Analyzes development situations and data with in-depth evaluation of multiple factors.
- Influences solutions to business or technical problems.
- Communicates and implements the strategic and technical direction for the project/program team.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of business & market growth drivers & trends; influences business case development.
- Complete understanding of a wide application of project management principles, theories & concepts.
Sphere of Influence:
- Responsible for the execution, quality and results of his or her project and the success of the resulting product for the business or in the market.
- He/She manages and guides the day-to-day activities of team members, tracks progress against plan, manages the project budget, identifies project risks and provides plans to mitigate those risks.
- Under general supervision, plans, designs and performs development as assigned.
- Demonstrate leadership, learning agility and action orientation when facing uncertainty. Instill confidence through leadership and actions.
- Possesses the skills, knowledge and aptitude to engage, influence, and direct all functions involved in the development of the assigned product to inspire and motivate the team to achieve a common goal or purpose.
- Exercises considerable latitude in determining and developing approach to solutions.
- Interacts with functional managers and business leaders to communicate regarding critical project risks, questions or challenges.
- Challenges core team members, functional leaders and business leaders regarding functional and cross functional strategies and approaches in order to improve product development outcomes.
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science & Engineering, Biomedical Engineering or a closely related engineering degree is required. An advanced degree in an engineering discipline or MBA is preferred.
- At least 10 years relevant experience in product development and design with at least 5 years product development and design experience in medical devices/products.
- Successful track record of commercializing new products
- Experience in new product development planning multiple work-streams, identifying risk and implementing action plans to optimize time lines and reduce execution risk
- Experience establishing customer requirements from defined needs specifications and translating to product requirements
- Experience utilizing combination of analytical, statistical, computational, and empirical methods to gain deep understanding of design and minimize overall development timelines
- Demonstrated ability to act as a change protagonist
- Experience managing ambiguity
- Demonstrated learning agility of new subject matter
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, presentation and influencing skills