API develops and maintains over 700 standards used throughout the global natural gas and oil industry to enhance operational safety, environmental protection, and sustainability. API is currently seeking a Program manager to support standards development in the Downstream segment. The candidate will be responsible for the overall standards program for one or more assigned API Downstream standards committees and oversight groups. The candidate will work in coordination with the API Downstream and Corporate Policy departments to remove unnecessary barriers to the continued use of U.S. natural gas in a lower carbon energy future. The candidate for this position will need to provide policy and procedural guidance as well as technical and administrative support for assigned API Downstream Standards. The candidate will also manage various related committees and related U.S. Technical Advisory Groups in coordination with various API standards.
- Manage the standards program for one or more assigned API Downstream standards committees and oversight groups. Provide leadership, technical and managerial support to API standards developing committees and oversight groups. Facilitate industry participation in international standards-making activities such as ISO and IEC as determined by the committee oversight body and API management. Coordinate joint initiatives with other industry or standards developing organizations.
- Advocate the role of technical standards in support of public policy goals and identifying those technical areas where standards development initiatives can support the Institute’s highest priority objectives.
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the API, ANSI and ISO/IEC procedures for standards development and manage the process to ensure compliance. Establish meeting schedules, conduct ballots, develop consensus, process documents in accordance with appropriate procedures while maintaining scheduling obligations. Organize and administer committee activities including agenda planning, preparation of minutes, and the development of draft documents.
- Identify, propose and manage the implementation of new initiatives in broad programmatic areas such as derivative publications, training seminars and certification programs. Serve as project manager for the development of the programs and products working in conjunction with other API staff, contractors and company representatives.
- Serve as contract manager when retaining outside experts for standards development or research initiatives in support of standards. Review proposals for technical merit and completeness, work with API staff to develop contractual language. Manage the project including review of work products, and ensure invoices accurately reflect services rendered.
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders and with other API departments, industry representatives, standards developing organizations and other groups in order to advance API’s Mission through global adoption of its standards and technology objectives.
- Maintain close communications with committee and subgroup officers to achieve program objectives. Share information and coordinate efforts within API to maintain appropriate coordination. Manage contracted technical experts to deliver projects on time and budget.
- Requires 5-7 years of experience in a similar role and subject matter expertise.
- Bachelor's degree in relevant area, or other related field equivalent work experience.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, facilitative and program management skills, and excellent written and verbal communication skills. A demonstrated ability to analyze and synthesize complex issues and their broader implications for less technical audiences is essential.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, work in an entrepreneurial environment, operate with latitude for unreviewed actions or decisions, and resolve problems without assistance when appropriate.
- A broad understanding of petroleum and/or petrochemical industry operations, including knowledge of the petroleum refining industry and process safety operations.
- Ability to manage complex issues and the ability to apply this knowledge in a practical manner, and/or understand key aspects of standards development process and possess a familiarity with the work and organization of other industry-related standards developing groups (such as ANSI, ASME, ASTM, IEEE, ISA, IEC/ISO, AGA and GPA).
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Prolonged periods of standing.
- Capable of lifting up to 20lbs on occasion.
Percentage of travel time expected for the position, where the travel occurs, such as locally or in specific countries or states, and whether the travel is overnight.
This job outline describes the typical accountabilities and requirements of the position and should not be construed as an all-encompassing description of every duty performed by or expected of the incumbent.