Program Manager, Alliance Management
The Program Manager, Alliance Management reports to Associate Director, Strategic Alliances. This position is responsible for the following:
- Interfacing externally with Diagnostic and POCT Instrument Companies (ICs) to build an effective network of personal and professional relationships with engineering /technical /customer support/ marketing /business development functions.
- Working internally with Business Functions and Project Teams, represent the external "Voice of the Instrument Companies" through comprehensive needs/utilization assessments (internal and external).
- Initiating / Managing joint Clinical Studies and evaluations with IC partners.
- Facilitating resolution of system performance issues that have been escalated to Alliance Management (AM) by BD Technical Services, Regions or the IC, with his/her counterpart in the Instrument Companies
- Facilitate BD to external peer relationships within ICs and Professional Organizations, ever deepening and widening the relationship scope to nurture potential alliances
- Establishes and maintains personal relationships with ICs as the first contact point for business development opportunities and resolution of performance / compatibility issues
- Nurtures and expands relationships with counterparts at ICs to surface product performance problems, resolve them proactively and continually ensure that communications at all levels are open and working well.
- Serves as core or extended team member on strategic project teams to facilitate the evaluation of new BD products on targeted instrument platforms. Confirms details for production equivalents sent for testing i.e., SAP numbers, color identification numbers, part numbers, lot numbers, etc. Recommends appropriate platforms to be incorporated into AM Project Plans. Document reviews, discussions and conclusions.
- Through deep understanding of BD product development process, confirms with project team exact information needed to meet any DIR requirements. Provides information and guidance to project teams ensuring that external / IC perspectives and relevant platform information is available and incorporated into the team thinking and product designs, through effective two-way communication. Ensures outcomes to meet the requirements are measurable. Maintains continuity and documentation of requests for IC information, agreements and discussions between functional team members and IC counterparts.
- Document and communicate IC testing strategies, feedback, timelines and market concerns for adoption to project teams and MA. Reviews testing protocols and study details prior to strategically providing product samples as required, and follows up on IC testing results to determine efficacy and compatibility of BD products on selected Instrument platforms. Requests a formal report for testing conducted at all stages (feasibility, verification, validations) and provides outcome-based guidance to project team. Follow up with ICs and project teams on testing results.
- Stays abreast of new assays, instruments and/or technologies being developed by the ICs and the impact/ interface of these on BD PAS products. Seeks to have ICs evaluate existing BD products on these “new platforms”.
- Provides guidance to other MA functional members and project teams in assessing project proposals as required for BD product compatibility and performance on existing platforms.
- Always acting with growth strategies in mind, recommends and assists with co-marketing, co-promotion opportunities with IC partners and in preparing joint product literature. Recommends opportunities for new or revised Clinical Solutions, and advocates for development within product development process.
- Manage CDA and Consulting Agreement processes; track expiry dates for renewal without lapse.
- Manage cross-regional ICL team and database to ensure transparency of global-regional alliance management. Create specific talking points for teams to use for customer interactions related to IC testing/verification/validation.
- Actively volunteers with CLSI and other standard/guideline committees to maintain network of relationships, keep abreast of emerging laboratory guidelines and trends, and provide compelling data to influence guidelines where applicable.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS (AS APPLICABLE):
- B.S. in Science Discipline. Advanced technical degree a real plus
- BS: 8+ years with experience in a clinical lab rotating through various disciplines and/or experience in a business environment in clinical or product development.
- MS: 6+ years, same as above
- PhD: 4+ years, same as above
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATIONS:
- ASCP certification (or equivalent)
- Experience working for an IC is significant asset.
- Marketing and salesexperience within the IVD market also a significant asset.
- High level of networking and interpersonal relationship skills is fundamental to this position.
- Collaboration skills enabling facilitation of work with associates, both inside and outside of BD, as well as globally.
- Has experience working with or leading professional committees.
- Capability to plan, organize and conduct Alliance Management (AM) sessions aligned with business need, strategic & tactical plans with follow up on meeting outcomes.
KNOWLEDGE OF SPECIFIC PROCEDURES/PRACTICES:
- In-depth knowledge of laboratory processes and Front End Automation, BD and competitive products as well as the major Instrument Company Assays and Platforms for Coagulation, Hematology, Chemistry, Urinalysis and Immunochemistry.
- Have clinical (product) knowledge; application of clinical knowledge in relation with product, practice and process knowledge to meet and resolve market (customers') needs; picks up on clinical impact quickly; can research and learn new products, technology, applications, skills and knowledge; has capabilities to coach, mentor and transfer knowledge to regional associates for self-sufficiency in resolving customer issues.
COMPLEXITY OF DUTIES:
- Must rely on knowledge / experience in the Clinical Laboratory, major platforms and blood collection products and processes to evaluate and properly assess situations, especially those requiring troubleshooting or creative problem solving approaches.
- Understands Capital vs Consumable business models, motivations and has capability to articulate jointly-held value proposition that compels ICs to respond to mutually established timelines, priorities etc.
Job ID R-19081