The Combat Vehicles Protection Systems organization is seeking a Program Engineering Director (PED) to execute engineering leadership and managerialresponsibilities across the entire Protection Systems (PS)portfolio. The PED isresponsible for sustainment of fielded systems, as well as pursuit, capture, and execution of new opportunities within theportfolioconsisting of:
- Armor solutions consisting of hard/soft body armor, as well as opaque and transparent armor.
- Crashworthy seating development and integration into both aviation and ground vehicle systems.
- Additional market opportunities.
In the execution of his/her duties, the Program Engineer Director will define, generate, and review project requirement documentation and perform technical studies to refine project requirements. The PED will monitor all projects within the portfolio to ensure work scope, schedule, and budget are well defined and well executed. Operating within a matrix organization, the PED shall plan and coordinate with resource managers/supervisors to ensure that qualified personnel are joined to, and released from, specific projects in a timely manner. The Program Engineering Director will ensure that all necessary design reviews and Life Cycle management (LCM) approvals are received and that engineering work products are delivered to the program (Program Manager, other functional organization, or Contracting Officer).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides leadership and have direct managerial responsibilities for two subordinate PEMs who will oversee the Armor and Seats/Structures portfolios for both domestic and international customers.
- Provides top level technical leadership for the assigned design discipline(s)
- Establishes overall requirements for personnel, capital, and facility resources.
- Partners with Program Management and Business Development organizations to identify, define, and capture program opportunities consistent with the strategic objectives.
- Conveys program priorities, challenges, needs to the Functional Engineering Managers and Section Managers in order to facilitate collaborative solutions.
- Works directly with customers to define opportunities and approaches for solutions.
- Plan, organize, and lead a matrixed team of Engineering resources from multiple engineering disciplines (mechanical, electrical, structures, survivability etc.) to meet cost, schedule, and performance requirements of the Protection Systems portfolio
- Technical Advisor to the Protection Systems Program Director/Phoenix site executive regarding capabilities, limitations, recommendations affecting near and long term capabilities of the Phoenix-based engineering workforce
- Engineering advisor to Manufacturing and Supply Chain regarding transition to production and engineering support in production (ESIP)
- Defining technical roadmap for internal research and development (IRAD) funding
- Technical lead for engaging governmental organizations (e.g TARDEC, PEO Soldier) to collaborate on Cooperative Research and Development (CRAD) shaping, funding, and execution.
- Technical advisor for shaping business development opportunities across Armor and Seats/Structure program areas.
- Responsible for process discipline and design rigor during execution to include peer reviews, design reviews, and Life Cycle Management (LCM) reviews.
- May serve as technical assessor/Design Review Chair/Technical Bid Review Chair for life cycle management (LCM) programs across BAE Systems Combat Vehicles Sector
- Maintains a safe work environment and ensures compliance with safety objectives and policies. Shares responsibility for self-development with immediate supervisor. Develops personnel in conjunction with and support of succession planning activities for further growth and development of the individual and the company
- Responsible for providing monthly forecasts reflecting estimates of Engineering staffing needs for the discrete pursuits/programs/projects in their domain over a 12+ month (rolling horizon)
- Responsible for providing timely and accurate status reports, and prompt notification of emerging risks and issues within their sphere of responsibility
- Other duties as assigned include, but not limited to: performing “color team” reviews for pursuits, performing Engineering core/context assessments, and performing IRAD planning/rationalization. Such duties are not constrained to a single Product Line or Program.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 12 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Engineering Degree and experience leading an engineering team required.
- Relevant experience to include coordinating and managing the engineering activities on the assigned program(s) to comply with cost, schedule, technical requirements and established engineering practices in order to meet program commitments.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with customers are also required.